Robbery at Pigeon Point

Your questions on medical and security issues
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Robbery at Pigeon Point

Post by Paul Tallet »

I have been holding back on this theory for some time but what if ...

... a visitor turns the tables on an attacker and kills or wounds him/her ... what would be the position?

I would be interested to know how the authorities would deal with that.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

In T&T the police have a very low detection/conviction rate of murders and assault, and there have been cases where businesspersons with licensed firearms, or off duty cops etc, have virtually executed robbers during holdups, with no warning calls to surrender or drop the weapon etc. Generally the public, police and media laud the acts, but occasionally the police mount a half hearted investigation into the boundaries of "self-defence" claims, before quietly dropping it.

There was the case of the armed robber at a well known hotel in Bacolet (which he was trying to hold up despite being a tiny distance from the island's biggest police station). The police quickly arrived and he fled into a toilet and locked the door, and was shot dead through the door, I am unaware of any attempt to persuade him to surrender. Of course the officers were applauded, for rapid response and decisive action.

That said, one might be at risk of retribution from family, friends or fellow gang members of the attacked attacker, so caution and a quick departure might be advised (unless the person was a scummy hustler who everybody despised). Carrying mace sprays etc is quite common amongst females there, while illegal in the UK (not sure if they are legal or not in T&T). Packs of guard dogs have been known to tear apart stupid tresspassers or burglars who enter private property, and mostly the public and authorities like such reports. So next time you are on your hols Paul, pack some heat in your trunks and you will be fine!
GAlkins
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by GAlkins »

Hey Paul,
there was an incident that took place in the Grafton area a few years ago where (I might be wrong about the gentleman's nationality) a British owner shot and killed and intruder that broke into his villa. As far as I know the owner was not charged.
I was shocked actually when I last visited Britain to hear stories about home owners wounding or killing these criminals then getting charged!
Reminds me of a story I heard in Trinidad. The police receive a call late one night that someone is breaking into the callers home. The police reply they have no vehicles. The caller hangs up, waits 5 minutes and calls back the police and says they don't have to hurry now he since he just shoot the burglar. The police were there in 5 minutes!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi 'G'

You are partially correct. :D

In October 2010, a guy armed with a cutlass broke into a villa on Grafton Beach. I don't know the exact chain of events, but the 78-year old villa owner managed to grab his licenced pistol (although not confirmed, I've been told it was a air-pistol) and shot the 26-year old bandit in the stomach. The robber escaped on foot but his injuries were severe enough to prevent him getting far. The police picked him up and rushed him to hospital (knowing Tobago's old General Hospital, that was probably worse than the shooting). He recovered and is no doubt now serving hard labour for the rest of his life (unless he's got family in high places). The money and jewellery he had stolen was recovered and the elderly gentleman concerned was not charged. Needless to say, though, he and his wife no longer live on the island I am told.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

'Lawless' comes to mind.

So all I need to do is tank myself up with all the armoury required to cause death and general medievilness to all those that dare to threaten me and I should be sorted.

Guess I had better start accumulating the weapons of destruction now before my next visit.

Job done ... smile.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

GAlkins wrote: Reminds me of a story I heard in Trinidad. The police receive a call late one night that someone is breaking into the callers home. The police reply they have no vehicles. The caller hangs up, waits 5 minutes and calls back the police and says they don't have to hurry now he since he just shoot the burglar. The police were there in 5 minutes!
... The police caught the burglars red-handed. The officer in charge now asked the home owner "but you told us you shot the two dead ?". The man replied "And allyuh said you have no car and cya' come here".

It's a Trini joke, but yes, it could be true ;-)
Mimi
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Mimi »

I was really surprised when I read all your concerns about security issues in Tobago and also reading about the incident at Pigeon Point shocked me.

I thought I'd just share my experiences which are quite positive.
I've been to Tobago on my own last year. I basically stayed in the area of Pigeon Point and Buccoo and almost never felt unsafe. I did however never stay outside in the dark and always returned to my guesthouse before sundown.
As a woman travelling alone I must have been an easy target for potential robbers, but absolutely nothing happened to me. I did go on a bicycle trip from Crown point to Castara, passing Moriah and Arnos Vale which is quite secluded. At times no cars drove past me for over half an hour or so, so I was really absolutely alone on the road, but still nothing has happened to me.

Maybe I was just lucky that nothing bad has happened to me, but I really enjoyed my vacation and I'm hoping to get back to Tobago soon.
I do travel a lot by myself an Tobago is definitely one of the safer places for women travelling alone.
Pupuce
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Pupuce »

We were in Tobago when this happened and I'm really surprised and shocked to read this now!!! On the day after the attack one of the lifeguards at Pigeon Point came to talk to us about this and he wanted to warn us having seen us there every day. The guy (can't remember his name...) was totally appalled and ashamed of what had happened on his island. And I understand him.

We didn't have any problems during our stay. Our friends from the Tobago Paradise Travel & Grill (Steve, please update the restaurant listing...! :) ) never let us walk from the restaurant by ourselves. Either someone gave us a lift or we had one of our fisherman friends to walk home with us. So the locals know there is danger...

Return to “Health & Security”