German Couple Found Dead on Minister Bay Beach

Your questions on medical and security issues
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: German Couple Found Dead on Minister Bay Beach

Post by Phil Bondie »

In yesterdays Trinidad Express there was an article about a British women who was found dead in her home by her husband. I think it was in Pleasant/Prospect. Does anyone in Tobago have an update on this?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Phil

Until there is any evidence of criminality, this is just a tragic family affair. From everything I know and hear, it has absolutely no bearing on tourism, or on visitors to Tobago. Therefore, out of respect for the family concerned, may I please respectfully ask and suggest that their privacy is respected and this subject not publicly discussed here.

I repeat, there is no evidence of anything criminal about this lady's demise.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Hear hear! Too much gossip and speculation leads to the spread of misinformation which is taken as factual !!
Let us leave this poor man alone in his grief.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Back on topic ...whoops, it was me, Gervais, that said that awful thing.

And yes, I have lived in bad areas of Britain and I have lived in good places.

Ironically, I feel safer in the bad places ... living in a good place in Britain means having Gate Security, CCTV and higher Insurance premiums and we are not allowed to defend ourselves in an unreasonable manner, 'unreasonable' means using a gun or taser which I think is a more attractive option than having a sweaty and exhausting grapple with an armed intruder on my premises ... they have rights here in the UK so you have to be careful not to be too aggressive otherwise you could be in jail for dealing with something that should not have happened ... but hey ho.

Another ironic thing happened yesterday when a couple in Surrey, UK were killed/murdered ... it happens almost every day somewhere in the UK ... but the big difference is that the suspects in this case have already been arrested and are being held in custody.

Meanwhile, back in Tobago, no one has a clue as to who murdered this couple last week ... I suppose that the killer may only be caught if he is found red-handed. Who knows. There was a publicity stunt yesterday as suited cops were filmed walking along the beach ... not really sure what they were doing.

... and that is the point ... that is what makes people feel unsafe and then you get the reactions ... the ineffectiveness of the Police is what seems to worry most people on this forum.

In Tobago, I take similar precautions as I do in the UK ... I do the same in Europe and anywhere I go and that includes my home. If you google the armed robberies on tourists on the roads of Spain you will see what I means by those who go 'off piste' so to speak.

So I will amend my comment ... 'you are no safer at home than you are anywhere, especially places you do not know' !!

I hope this helps ... I mean't no offence to anyone.

Looks like I will have Tobago all to myself in January if all this worry carries on!!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Not quite all alone, Paul. You'll be sharing the place with this Yank.

Hugh 8)
GervaisAlkins
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Paul,
I know you meant no offense. I guess I hardly see any comments from people of T&T on this site ( I still think Mytobago is a great resource for foreigners and regional travellers) and I'd like to offer my perspective as a citizen of Tobago and Trinidad...in that order!
I live in the Highlands of Scotland and I realize where I live now is an exception to the rule because the rich don't lock their doors here or have CCTV or live in gated communities. In fact we can walk through their yards to get to the hills! Thank you SNP :P I go running, mountain biking, hiking for hours on end alone and of all the precautions I've been giving zero involved to be aware of any bad people. I guess we're just lucky.
We're still going back Tobago except we've sadly decided not to go everywhere I'd like to because of safety.
And we're also gonna stay in a hotel instead of with friends or a guesthouse at least until or toddler is older.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Well Gervais , we live in Castara 4 - 5 months a year, "in the bush" as some in the busier and more tourist oriented south consider it ! So I am almost local ( long 'a' ). 45 minutes to maybe an hour away but it can feel like a million miles.
I will be having my annual meeting in Castara with Paul bobbing in the sea both with cold beers in our hands talking politics and everything else ,and nothing at all. Do feel free to join us.
I hope by then the person responsible for this crime is in a much hotter place......
GervaisAlkins
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Chris,
thanks for the invitation but every minute of our vacation is planned.
Between my daily swims, mountain bike rides, runs, body boarding, bodysurfing, hiking, birdwatching, maybe trying some stand-up-boarding, scuba-diving and of course spending time with my family & friends I doubt I'll be able to join u all.
But I'm hoping my friends can recon the trail from Runnemede Lookout to Mt Dillon to see if we can hike. If I am doing any group hikes on that side I'll send y'all a message if y'all are interested. It'll be for free too! I'm presently training for my Mountain Leader Award so the vacation will also be work.
Do they still sell that lovely oven-baked bread by the school?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Hugh ... maybe we will hook up at the Kings Bay Cafe again ... is Phil around this year?

Chris ... I look forward to it ... I might try a glass of Port and a cigar in the sea this time :mrgreen:

Gervais, yes it's the ladies doing the bread but not every day ... I am sure Chris will tell you what days ... they never look happy so I send my carer down to fetch the bread with big smiles.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Steve, Thanks for clearing that up. The papers don't do a very good job. Paul and Hugh, I will be arriving on the 17th of Dec. and staying until March 20. Going home early this year for my dads 100th birthday. Call me 310-9411. I talked to Mike from King Bay last week and he thinks he will be open after the first of the year. We should probably take any further talk to the General section. Phil
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

That is good news for the investigation, let us hope that with the Germans on the case the local plod will pull their fingers out and apprehend the (correct) suspect. After that, it will be down to the court system to ensure that he or she does not make bail, and then when it comes to trial, the evidence does not mysteriously disappear from the property store, or the station diary goes missing, or the officers fail to come to court....regular reasons for cases to get thrown out when palms have been greased, or the suspect is a relative of someone in a position of power. Am I being unreasonably cynical? Re the reward - does anyone know anyone in T&T who has ever actually been paid a Crime-stoppers reward? I would recommend that the reward is handled by the German embassy, if they want local people who know the killers to actually think they might one day get it
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes Glynn ... good news ... although it is now sometime since the incident and the foot prints will have been washed off the beach, so to speak.

There is really no kind of prevention until someone is caught.

Hi Phil, I will be calling ... I get there on the 5th January so it would be nice for the club to have a get together again.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Kurt.Halfyard
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kurt.Halfyard »

We might lack common sense, but one of the chief pleasures of TOBAGO is walking in a small group on quiet beaches and in the interior of the island. Yes we are taking a small risk, but it is worth it. (And yes we do this with two small children.) Our experience with Tobago is that it is one of the lowest-crime places on earth.
Dalseg
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by Dalseg »

I've been visiting Tobago for 25 years, I celebrated that anniversary in February this year. I am going back this week. I have travelled extensively in Italy, and the US. I have never been the victim of crime anywhere. I indulge in the culture of the places I am visiting. I rarely stay in resorts,often choosing boutique style or villa rentals. I eventually married a man from Tobago that has lived in Canada since we were married in 1993..we travel several times per year to Tobago with friends and family.
I don't want to make light of anyone's unfortunate circumstances, but the world has crime. How it targets some people I cant speak to. Tobago and its people are wonderful and one of the greatest treasures on earth.
When I was there in February we went down to Arnos Vale beach. I want to keep that gem a secret! I've been there countless times and each visit I marvel at the fact that I am alone on this glorious stretch of beach. There aren't many places in the world you can say that.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Whilst I totally endorse Dalseg's description of Arnos Vale Beach as a gem, it would be totally irresponsible of me not to qualify her comments by drawing attention to the warnings we give for Arnos Vale beach in our 'Beaches' section. A number of tourists have been robbed here, with threats of violence, either while on the beach or when making their way to the beach through the wooded area beside the old hotel. We strongly recommend avoiding this beach unless visiting as a large party.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

I agree with what Steve is saying regarding Arnos Vale Beach. We visited the beach twice during our stay in Feb/March and both times there were some pretty shady people hanging about.

Return to “Health & Security”