development of safety ?

Your questions on medical and security issues
Johnnie V
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

development of safety ?

Post by Johnnie V »

Hi in here this is my first post but have been reading with great eager in many of the boards. I have noticed that the posts in this one has been going down. So i will ask if the acctual numbers of crimes have gone down? Going to Tobago in 3 weeks with my Brother who would love to take a lot of Pictures with his somehow large camera.
Thank you for any feedback on this one. We are both looking forward to our first visit to the Island.

Sorry for any misspelling seems i have my Danish vocalary on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: development of safety ?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Johnnie

Welcome aboard! :)

I am delighted to say that the security situation has been calm on Tobago for the last couple of years. Our English saying "No news is good news" seems very approriate here. So, enjoy your trip - but apply the normal commonsense precautions that you would anywhere else in the world, including in Denmark.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Hello Johnnie,

In regards to your large camera, common sense and my own experience suggest that you should travel with at least one person in addition to the shooter to provide extra eyes to see what is going on while the other is looking through the lens. Safety in numbers.

Also, in Tobago, it is best to ask people before taking their photo.

Good luck! There is much to see and photograph: http://www.mytobago.info/photogallery08.php#Stickney

Hugh 8)
Johnnie V
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Johnnie V »

Thank you for the welcoming and the swift responses. We will follow the directions in this forum and he will have me as the extra eyes ill use both of them.

Very nice Pictures thank you for sharing.

Johnnie
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Johnnie,

I´m swedish and have been travelling to Trinidad & Tobago every year since 1989, mostly to Tobago since 1992, and as Steve say, no real danger at all as long one have common sence.
It´s only during big parties at one of the few discos one should be a little bit careful. Some "nice ladies" use to be around of course and some of them have "guards", but these problem will never come up into local papers.

Don´t know where you have been travelling so my advce might be wrong here, but as I´ve seen peoples have problems..
Some visitors show off their money in a stupied way, ALL money into a wallet or in the same pocket! I never use wallet at all! I use to say, to less expierenced visitors, have the smaller money into one pocket, the little bigger in a second pocket, and $100TTD in a third.
And do ONLY bring credit cards with you if it really need it for shopping or for a big dinner! The ATMs are working quite OK, but not the one by the Airport. That ATM belongs to a bank which no longer accept foreign cards! Very stupied to have such an ATM byt the Airport!

Return to “Health & Security”