Water (bottled and at source)

Your questions on medical and security issues
Carol-Anne

Post by Carol-Anne »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 28 January 2003

Hi 1. Any idea of the price of bottled water (intending to stay at the Coco Beach) 2. Is the tap water safe? or is it desalenated
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 28 January 2003

Having worked with WASA (Water and Sewage Authority) in T&T I can confirm that that water on Tobago is absolutely and definitely not desalinated in fact the biggest water catchment area is in the rainforest and leads into the Hillsborough dam. The water will come from the water treatment plant near Scarborough and generally meets World Health Organisation standards for drinking water. Personally I never had a problem with any water that had been boiled (I am a Brit and like tea!). The cost of bottled water is realtively low - cannot remember exactly - is from Trinidad and is basically filtered and the zapped with Ultraviolet light to kill off anything that gets past the filtration and tastes OK. Imported bottled waters are available at supermarkets but you pay a significant premium just like in the UK!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 04 February 2003

Hi Carol-Anne Just got back from Penny Savers where I paid TT$6 (70p UK/ US$1) for a 1.5 litre bottle local brand water - which tastes very nice. Evian and another UK brand was about 1.5 times more expensive and the local brand tastes nice.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Malc C

Post by Malc C »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 05 February 2003

Come on Steve - after all you are on holiday. What are you doing drinking water? Isn't that what fish have sex in??
Bob Michele M

water . . . ice?

Post by Bob Michele M »

We will be in Tobago for our first vist in 18 (!!!) days and just the other day were wondering about ice. Yes, we Yanks like ice in our rum and tonic . . . Do folks make ice from bottled water, or buy ice from the grocery? Sorry for what may seem a naive question, but we will be newbies.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Bob
Some make their own ice using water from the tap, but you can buy big packs of party-ice at Penny Savers for example.

I´ve met some peoples from US and some of them didn´t exactly feel well when using the water from the tap.
But I believe that because they mostly was using soft drink and mineral water at home, so their body wasn´t custom with any real water at all.

Mostly visitors doesn´t have any problem what so ever with ice and water.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Bob,the water from the tap(faucet)is perfectly potable,most stores and a few rum shops will sell you bags of ice-however it is made from mains drinking water!!!!Don't worry drink,the Rum Puncheon,abv90%,that will kill anything!!
Seriously there's no problem.
David

Return to “Health & Security”