Vaccinations

Your questions on medical and security issues
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Sweden

Post by Ronald » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:46 am

Hi Carrie

That depend´s on wich vaccinations you are talking about.

Some, like yellow fever, are "a live", a normally agency for tourist vaccinations are normally not allowed to give them.

Some vaccinations are given in 1-4 injections, all depending on what type we are talking about.

Better check that with your doctor.
Ronald

Matt Jenkins

Vaccinations

Post by Matt Jenkins » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:26 am

Up to date advice is available here:

http://www.traveldoctor.info/vaccinatio ... o.203.html

If you are staying for a long time (>6 months) then you may consider having the rabies vaccine. It is only necessary if you are travelling to more remote areas or are likely to come into regular close contact with animals. I'd really think carefully whether it is necessary...its a course of 3 injections, hurts like hell and makes you feel like c**p for a few days after each dose. (yes, i've had it!) If still worried then have it...its far better than contacting rabies. THIS IS ONLY FOR SPECIAL CASES...IT IS NOT A STANDARD VACCINE TO VISIT T&T SO DON'T WORRY.

Apart from that everything else is covered on the website. Hope this helps people,

Matt

Carrie W

Post by Carrie W » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:49 am

Thanks for that, though im really not happy about having all those vaccinations, im seriously terrified of needles, i thought it would only be one needle :shock:

Carrie W

Post by Carrie W » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:16 am

Well had my vaccinations yesterday!! I only needed one because my booster was all upto date so i had the hepititus A :shock:
So glad thats all over with, can start looking forward to the hol now :D

Gill M

Vaccinations

Post by Gill M » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone

Well, I visited my practice nurse on Monday and, although the UK is a Yellow Fever free zone, she does recommend me having the Yellow Fever vaccine - I've had all the standard jabs and wasn't expecting this as I hate injections.

The nurse has been to Tobago but feels that Trinidad maybe a slight risk as the two islands are so close together. The Yellow Fever is just a recommendation and not mandatory.

Oh well, better book into the Travel Clinic - better safe than sorry although looking at the health sites you only have a 50% chance of surviving the disease anyway!!!

Gill M

SDTaylor

Post by SDTaylor » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Hi,

I am visiting Tobago in a months time and visited my doctor yesterday for jabs

she gave me two jabs for

Tetanis, Dipheria, Typhoid, Hepatitis and Polio

my arm aches and I now have flu like symptoms
my fiancee also had the jabs and she feels fine .

I wonder how common flu like symptoms after having injections are ?

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:39 pm

Hi SD

Welcome aboard! :D

Yes, I think those symptoms are totally common - I've certainly experienced them. It normally only last a couple of days.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!
Great Britain

Post by Andy D » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:06 pm

Anyone know if vaccinations can be done free? If so,where? Local GP wants £70 :shock: :evil: :evil: :roll:

Steve Wooler
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Ouch!!!

To be honest, I really don't know. I must confess that its not something we have ever bothered with. The way I figure it, a few hours in London will expose me to more airborne infection and disease than any length of time in Tobago.

Having said that, I guess it would be responsible of me to reaffirm that whilst there are currently no compulsory vaccination requirements for entry to Trinidad & Tobago. However, in common with travel to all tropical countries, vaccinations against Hepatitis A and Yellow Fever are recommended and you should be revaccinated against Tetanus-Diptheria every 10 years.

Vaccination against Hepatitis B is STRONGLY recommended if you envisage intimate contact with a local while on Trinidad or Tobago. The islands have been declared rabies-free, so vaccination is no longer necessary.

I can see why you won't get vaccinations done for free, on the National Health, but the charge there does seem excessive. Is that per vaccination, per person, or for the whole family?

Gill M

Post by Gill M » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Andy

After travelling the Caribbean for a few years, including Tobago, all my vaccinations were free with the exception of Yellow Fever which costs around £70. The practice nurse initially recommended that I have the Yellow Fever vaccine (mainly because Tobago is so near Trinidad where there is a possible YF threat) but after I had turned up for the appointment, she decided that it wasn't that necessary.

The only other thing you would have to pay for are Malaria tablets if they are necessary - they were not deemed necessary for Tobago.

Hope this helps.

Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!
Great Britain

Post by Andy D » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:58 am

Thanks for the replies,i have now been told by the practise nurse that all vaccinations are FREE (mistake by the dope on reception!) with the exception of Yellow fever which is £40 per shot. :roll:

Return to “Health & Security”