Moving to Tobago

Your questions on medical and security issues
Tony R.

Moving to Tobago

Post by Tony R. »

:D As US citzens, we have decided to make the move to Tobago.. I have visited Tobago frequently, and have enjoyed meeting new friends from the UK. We are going to be new business owners, and hope to share our experiences, as well. Ok, One American with a beautiful Trini wife, and an 8yr old going to private school We are looking forward to leaving the stress of mainland and becoming citzens of this beautiful island. Though we have seen the crime alerts, and have some concerns.

Regards, Cheers

Tony and Alisha
Sharon E

Post by Sharon E »

Tony

The move is well worth while, it is the best thing I have ever done, however you live in America (with all the gun crime we read about) and you are worried about moving to Tobago!

See what opinions rightly or wrongly the press can give, I would never go to America alone as you can legally own guns and there is high gun crime level out here it is extremely rare to have any incidents (we are not Trinidad) and ones that do are obviously high news stories.

Enjoy your move, come in the right frame of mind and relax and enjoy it.
Carole W

Post by Carole W »

Hello all, I'm new here and just doing a bit of research really

I have very good friends who have been to Tobago a few times and are seriously considering moving there - but i'm a bit concerned reading recent posts about Englishmans Bay. Please put my mind at rest!

Many Thanks

Carole

P.S. Brilliant site Steve :)
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Carole,

I'm sure you'll see on this site that the Englishman's Bay incident really does seem to be a one off. The local people are all certain that a lot of the problems recently stem from the number of workers from off the island ie Trinidad, who have been brought in to work on the L'Anse Formi to Charlotteville road, or from people who just come onto the island to cause trouble, and then disappear again.

Personally, having lived in the Newcastle area for many years prior to moving to the Cotswolds, Hugo and I feel perfectly safe on Tobago. All the local people we have met are so friendly and the crime levels re substantially lower than in many areas of the UK.

As in any location overseas, you just have to act sensibly and take the usual precations that you would take at home.

We wouldn't hesitate to move to Tobago if it was an option for us - the pace of life and climate are just so appealing. So, please be reassured - Tobago is a great place, as long as you retain your common sense regarding personal security.

Jane
Carole W

Post by Carole W »

Thanks for that Jane :) I will pass on all info received
Tony R.

Post by Tony R. »

As new resident of Tobago, we are residing in the Lowlands area. The people of Tobago are friendly and helpful. It is true that crime exists, however this is the unfortunate world we live in. Many young people get the wrong impression from Tv and movies. I can say we are impressed, and we get more channels on cable than the US. The food prices reasonable, and in some instances less, if you buy local brands. We look forward to our new lifestyle.

Tony and Alisha :D
Lily Mel

Re: Moving to Tobago

Post by Lily Mel »

[quote="Tony R."]:D We are going to be new business owners, and hope to share our experiences, as well.

Hello Tony,

I am curious what business?

Lily
Tony R.

Fun In Tobago

Post by Tony R. »

Thanks for asking ! Please visit our website at

http://www.tobagoseasports.com

Regards...
Lily Mel

Post by Lily Mel »

Success!, I like people who dare. No guts, no glory.
We will visit Tobago in October this year.
What is your experience doing business inTobago,
and the Tobago mentality difference from the US.
How works licenses.
There is competition on what level?
I have read that envy and fightings can incur high.

lily
Tony R.

tOBAGO

Post by Tony R. »

Hi Lilly,

We hope you visit us, when you come to Tobago.. Our business operations are scheduled for Nov 2005. We are still in the process of re-locating with an 8yr old. My wife is actuallly from Trinidad, the business people seem nice.
Everyone is excited about us bringing some new products and services in.
My experience is people are the same world-wide, you have good and bad.
We all have the same needs and desires, we are all human and have heart and soul. The business atmosphere in the US is negative for workers, there are a lot of lazy people, and some ambitious. I am looking forward to living in a small place, with a great atmosphere, plus enormous potential for hard working people, however at 45, I hope its a working retirement :)
We are re-locating from South Florida, where we are used to a semi-tropical area, with mosquitas, and hurricanes.
Sincerely,

Tony
Lou W

Tobago

Post by Lou W »

Hi Tony,
Just wondering a few things that you might be able to help me with??
How did the local authorities react to you wanting to move there, set up a buisness and put you child through school?
I'm looking at moving out there myself within the next couple of years but am mostly worried about getting my daughter educated and being able to find work. When i come over in november, depending on what happens, I might even stay then but we'll see.
I think you are doing a fab thing and i'm so envious of you!!

Have fun out there!!
Tony R.

Tobago Life

Post by Tony R. »

Goodmorning Lou:

It is Sat AM in Florida USA, we are leaving for Tobago in 2 weeks, we are in process of moving, shipping, storing etc. We are looking forward to Tobago,
we made a decision to rent for one year, and then we hope to buy land and build. We are also developiing two businesses, both involving boats, one renting and the other selling. I have secured a line of unique boats, into Tobago, I will introduce a 2 person catamaran, with a glass bottom viewing area, and others. Please visit my developing site http://www.tobagoseasports.com
We have made arrangements to enroll my son in private school (very reasonable) When you visit , please call me (868) 639-9714, and I will be happy to assist you, in any way possible.

Regards, Cheers

Tony and Alisha
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Tony

We naturally wish you every success in Tobago, but can I please refer you to our Notes for Tobago Business Owners available in the 'Notes & Welcome Messages Forum'.

What these notes basically say is that the forum must not be used to promote your own business. We welcome your contribution to the forum, but the golden rule is that you must NEVER mention, suggest or in any way refer to your own business. I hope you understand the reasons for this.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Health & Security”