Bugs in May

Your questions on medical and security issues
Christine D

Bugs in May

Post by Christine D »

We are 2 Canadian women planning a trip to Tobago in May. We are planning to stay at the Blue Mango in Castara. We love the idea of the rustic forest/beach setting, but just want to make sure that the bugs and nasties are not far worse than usual at this time of year, or far worse at this type of location. The normal bug situation that has been described is fine with us and we're sensible enough to read and follow all the precautionary advice, we just want to double check that this time of year doesn't "up the ante" where the bugs are concerned...the brutal truth will help us make our final decision and book our trip...we are looking forward to it and can't quite wait for May to arrive!!

Thanks!
Christine
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Hi Christine
I've stayed at the Blue mango twice. First time in Sept 2004 in the Cliff Hanger, Blue Mango Cottage and Sweet Point. Second time in April 2005 in Sweet Point.
If there was any difference, there were less mossies in April in our experience.
As to type of location - I've never stayed any where else on Tobago so can't give you a comparison based on experience. I assume though that you will always get more visits from bugs and nasties in rustic forest beach locations than in sealable airconditioned accommodation in the Crown Point area.
Some of the bugs are really very beautifull and we named our geckos. The mossies are a nuisance and I hate the little b******s, but they didn't spoil our enjoyment at all. :D
Christine D

awesome!!

Post by Christine D »

That's great to hear...we realize we're making the decision to have some bugs around us, which is fine...just wanted to be sure that for some reason if May was the time they showed up in full force, we were aware!!

Can't wait...thanks for the info.
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Bugs

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

I might be used to mossies in wet Sweden, but I must say that my visits in Tobago which generally are either in may/june or november and always near Castara seem to be rather mossie-free. I always rent a bit higher up and the wind seems to keep them away. It is MUCH more difficult to sit out and enjoy a meal on a swedish summer evening-except for the mossies, who do seem to enjoy themselves immensely. I should imagine the situation in Canada to be the same, so do not fear.

Return to “Health & Security”