Sand Flies and Mossies ---take your own supplies

Your questions on medical and security issues
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

boxer rebellion

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Actually, paul. I seem to remember that Paediatricians used to give that advice to mothers with eczema-ridden kids, so, yes, it has a point in it, even from a medical point of view. If you have an uncontrollable itch You WILL scratch in Your sleep and that will worsen the release of histamines and worsen the itch.
Chrs
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Yes!!!! Thank you, Dr.Stefan - so, all you Doubting Thomases who thought I was being rude owe me an apology.

A case of Carib will do nicely, thank you! :wink:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hmmmph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Vindication !!

I will add Dr Stefan's important contribution to my research.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
P Strange

Post by P Strange »

as a medical proffessional ive always been curious on how to stop the little blighters! ther is no hard and fast solution due varying skin types and of course the different strains of insects also time of year effects too (thats just my own theory) This is my concoction lavender and citronella oil diluted in a carrier oil one keeps them away the other soothes the itch if you do get bitten anti histamine as like for heyfever allergy will help the infernal temptation to scratch. if you cant ressist rub tiger balm (bit pricey) into the bite it works well. Gin is not as daft as it sounds used by officers in India as it contains Quinnine
I take garlic tablets vit b complex some people say specificly b1 lots of conflict over this im not sure(any one offer help) This time as im getting married ive got the ultimate weapon.... the future mother in law they are bound to ravage her and leave me alone!!! hee hee
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Dear all,

just arived back from wonderful holidays in Tobago I'm still counting my mossie bites and gave up at 80.... Trying to remember all your good advices they still saw me coming and found me through moscito net and citronella oil :?
Now back home the last bites are still itching. The only thing I could find to ease this was something called 'Hawaiian Tropic Cool ALOE I.C.E.' Can't remember where I bought this but must been somewhere in Tobago some years ago. It is a clear bottle with a green/blue fluid and contains aloe and camphor.

The other thing was to have enough Carib just to feel more relaxed and don't care about the mossies :wink:

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Gisella,did you drink Castara dry,or can i still go there?!! :wink:
David :D
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

David (Bude Cool Boy!),

I guess I left one or two Carib for you :P and I'm sure they will have filled it up until you go there.

Take care and

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Alex Bindy
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Alex Bindy »

Are sand flies 'seasonal' in their attendance on the beach, as we are off in a couple of weeks. Last time, in October, there did not seem to be any (or perhaps I did not know about them!!)
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Alex

Now there's an interesting question.

I don't know, is the honest answer. Yes, I imagine that they are probably worse during the wet season or after rainfall, but I don't know that for fact. The bottom line is that some people are troubled by them and some people never get a single bite. They may be present at one end of a beach and no sign at the other end. What I do know is that they are always at their most active in the hour before sunset. If you haven't been troubled before and are going back to the same places, then there's a good chance you will escape again.
Steve Wooler
Alex Bindy
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Alex Bindy »

hi Steve,

Fingers crossed then!! starting to get things gently together now (the Mrs has decided that January in the uk is the best time to buy a new swimming cossie!!), and beach umbrellas seem to be off the shelf at the local shops (odd eh!!)

Alex
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

they usually eat me rare when I am on the beach in the morning before the sun has hit the sand and as steve said in the evening when the sun looses power. also the few days we just had when no sun came out at all. so it seems they just don't like the heat of the sun... and the waterline, thats where I spend most of the time to avoid them...
enjoy and don't let them bother you!

STEPH
Alex Bindy
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Alex Bindy »

Brian Taylor wrote:they usually eat me rare when I am on the beach in the morning before the sun has hit the sand and as steve said in the evening when the sun looses power. also the few days we just had when no sun came out at all. so it seems they just don't like the heat of the sun... and the waterline, thats where I spend most of the time to avoid them...
enjoy and don't let them bother you!

STEPH
thanks Steph. It sounds like the flies and I may dance around each other then, as I dont have too many intentions to be on the beach befoe the sun, and hopefully in a bar somewhere when the sun goes down :)
Maja M

Post by Maja M »

Brian Taylor wrote:don't let them bother you!
I wont, I'll just bite back! 8)

8 DAYS TO GO, OMG!!!!! \:D/
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

I'm waiting to see you bite them :lol:
I see the dogs try on the beach, biting their own tail.... :wink:

see you soon
STEPH
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Sandflies & Mosquitos, never mind what one recommend, it might work or it might not work. It´s so different from person to person.

Some years I´d met a man from US, in july, he´d also use Store Bay Beach. He was on the beach about 45 minutes per day, in the water for some 25 minutes and than he just did sit down on his towel. I was on the beach, using my towel on the sand, for 4-5 hours. They did bite him all over his legs, red spots all over, I didn´t get one bite!

Some peoples has no or very litte problems, with flies & musquitos, some has a lot of problemes, even if they are using different things as a protection.

Sometimes a mosquito can take a walk on my arm, and than jump over to an other person and bite him/her at once! Mostly they bites locals more than me, I have very little problems with them, the Swedish ones are much worst compared with Tobagonian.
Alex Bindy
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Alex Bindy »

many years ago I got bitten by the beer bug. The itch seems to appear when its hot, and I am not at work. A lot of times at weekends also.

Any suggestions on a cure for this terrible bug :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

You'll have to wait for a reply from David Watkins on that one, Alex. He's still working on the cure.
Steve Wooler
P Strange

Post by P Strange »

I think David is failing miserably on his cure, i last saw him during the Christmas period, peranging (term for invading everyone and anypersons house drinking them dry, before moving on to the next victim!) His last known whereabouts were Parletuvier (is that spelt correct) having disapeared with some of Castaras hardened drinkers, singing a rendition of "Rum til i die" David im only jealous as im now married those days of boyish antics all long in the past...... yeah right!!!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Phil,I don't beleive I ever saw you sober!!!! I mean when you were not into(I''ll break your secret)drinking WATER!!!!!!!!!!
As for that bug that Alex has caught maybe Phil has the answer get married!!!
David %*}

Return to “Health & Security”