Sand Flies and Mossies ---take your own supplies

Your questions on medical and security issues
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks for the advice re ducks Gill, We have five pet ducks in our garden at home, so are halfway to the solution, my question for everyone is do my ducks need a passport so I can take them on holiday with me in less than three weeks time?

Linda
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Linda,you take a duck out with you and it will soon be pot duck :roll:
David :D
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Linda P wrote:my question for everyone is do my ducks need a passport so I can take them on holiday with me in less than three weeks time?
Hi Jill

The English cricket team are expert on ducks, so you might want to ask them. :lol:

For those of you interested - I found this on the BBC website - Stick with this because there is a moral to the tale.

The Blandford fly isn't controlled by a chemical pesticide, but a biological insecticide, Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (or Bti for short). Bti is a naturally occurring bacterium which produces spores which, when they are eaten by blackfly larvae, rapidly kill the insects. The spores carry a toxin which destroys the gut walls of Simuliidae (blackflies) and Chironomidae (midges).

It is considered that this use of Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis in Blandford is probably the best example of the use of an eco-friendly biological pesticide, anywhere in the world.

Hows about this bit of trivia though......

Blandford-based brewery Badger Beers produce a brew called Blanford Fly (the beer with bite) into which they add ginger during the brewing process.

Ginger is thought to have soothing properties for insect bites because it contains enzymes which breakdown the proteins or peptides which cause itching and swelling, into amino acids by the action of enzymes (clever stuff eh?).

Research has shown that proteolytic enzymes such as zingibain, bromelain (present in pineapple) and papain (present in papaya) have anti-inflammatory properties too.

Conclusion?
If you live on a diet of Ginger beer, pineapple and papaya you may avoid getting bitten - but you won't have many friends :shock:

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

sitting here in castara day 5, savaged by insects. Losing the bite count to the missus who has over 60 bites! Have to say, taking its toll on use enjoyment of this beautiful place. :( on here via my trusty nokia looking for help, incantations and hocus pocus cures in the hope peace will break out before we all get even more distracted by the suffering!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Marc more rum and citronella! Citronella you can get in the vilage,also a local remedy (go or no?),the rum is to be taken internally,the others applied if you feel it.
But seriously do put stuff on ankles and lower legs especially at dusk-we glow like black light to the bxxxxxx,and don't scratch!
Otherwise having a good one?
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Marc,

I know it's probably not environmentally friendly - but we found the best deterent was "Off" spray-on repellent. The stuff we brought from the UK didn't seem to stop the mozzies at all - so when the staff at the Inn on the Bay recommended this stuff we were a bit sceptical to say the least. However - with nothing to lose (we were getting well bitten anyway) we tried it - and it really worked for us.

Hope this helps

Jane
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

When you are done experimenting go back to DEET. I tried the others and now look like I have the pox. DEET! :oops:
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

have located a bottle of off! And spraying it on like a crop duster! Cannot find deet despite clocking up michael palinesque mileage. Desperate for ibroprofen as that worked well on the bites until it ran out, alas none to be found in scarborough (nice pun!), carnbee, canaan or crown point. Any other pharmacies? Will check the site after this post! Totally accept my failure to prepare played a part here, victim to the 25 minute queues in boots at gatwick! Now, about that rum, recommended brand?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

White Oak,it is that smooth :wink:
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

1919!
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Or Agnostura 1824
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

$$$$$$$$ for the 1824. More complex but not as smooooooth as the 1919.

RE Bug spray:

Most types of Off use DEET. Check the label. Marc, did you check Mrs. Dove's pharmacy in Carnbee?

Just got back from Grange Bay, our first swim of the trip! Lots of sweet mangos on the walk home. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Yes, Hugh is quite correct. Off! is our preferred bug spray and the 'normal' cans contain 15% DEET. However, beware of the "Family" pump sprays versions - they only contain 7% DEET. The strength is not an issue. It was explained to me by an 'expert' (can't remember who, only that they were connected with the industry or in a position where they should know) that a 100% DEET won't keep bugs away more than 10% - its just that the 100% will last 10 times longer. We found that the 7% Family versions of Off! and Go! were fine - as long as you sprayed yourself every hour or so. The "full" versions seemed to last 3-4 hours without problem.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

tried mrs dove, only had citronella. Took that. Went back to scar, got some antihis cream and a can of f@?! Off! Sitting here now in the dark smothered in chemicals and 3 carib and 2 stag to the wind. Things feel a little less problematic. Will apply some white oak tomorrow. Been here since last thurs and still not had any rum. Shocking.
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Marc,

If you take anti-histamine tablets (Piriton, Clarityn etc,) you may find that any bites you get itch a lot less; the "one a day" versions seem to work as well as any, and you can still enjoy the rum, Carib or whatever is your chosen relaxent!

Jane

PS Apart from the insect life - hope you're having a great time!

Return to “Health & Security”