Help Please !!

Your questions on medical and security issues
Lyn P

Help Please !!

Post by Lyn P » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 pm

I am considering Tobago and wonder if you "Experienced Tobago Travellers" could answer some questions PLEASE!

I understand Tobago has a pleasant all-year- round climate so I presume there isn't really a bad time to visit. However, I have not read much on the subject of Humidity. Which months are the cooler months with the least humidity or is it pretty consistant all year round? What are the usual temperatures in the cooler months? I am a regular Cuba visitor and prefer the months of Feb to May as the humidity is a lot less than June to Oct - presumably Tobago is much the same????

My next question is about mosquitoes and sand flies - are they around in Tobago and what is the situation like regarding these, are there times of the year that they are less of a problem or are they a definate all year round existence?

We are considering the Coco Reef - wise choice??

I would be appreciative of any information and advice you may be able to offer and would love to read any comments; good or bad !! on your experiences of the Coco Reef.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:33 am

Hello Lyn

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Yes, Tobago has a pleasant all-year-round climate. Being so close to the equator (just 11° north), the temperature does not vary greatly across the year, but as you correctly say, the early months of the year are generally the 'coolest'. March and April are generally the driest months, so similarly experience the lowest humidity. You can read more in our Weather article available under 'Tobago' in the top menu bar.

Sandflies can be a problem to some people all year round. Mosquitoes are normally less of a problem and are worst after periods of heavy rainfall. They are seldom a problem during the "high-season" months during the early part of the year. Most hotels spray around the hotel and if staying somewhere like the Coco Reef, you are most unlikely to see a mosquito at any time of year. More information is given in our Insects & Nasties article available through the Odds & Sods/Health Matters menu.

The Coco Reef is a really excellent choice. You can see full details of the hotel, our own personal review (March 2006) and reader reviews by clicking on the Accommodation menu, then locating the Coco Reef either under the 'Recommended' tab, the 'Hotels' tab or by searching for it by name.

Enjoy your research.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Lyn P

Post by Lyn P » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks for your help Steve. I had a good look through this website the other evening and spent hours and hours on the phone to my friend, reading everything to her as I went along. We found this website very helpful and informative plus we had a good laugh at some of your personal reviews and at other subjects on this forum too :lol:
I think this is an excellent site. Still have Tobago on my mind - I think you have all sold it to us!!! :wink:

Neil R

Post by Neil R » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Hi,

I think that you will be mad if you do not go to Tobago,

Nuff said,

Neil :wink:

Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!
Great Britain

Post by Andy D » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:26 pm

I agree! Go,you'll love it, i go for the 6th time in two years in January! Cant wait!! :D

Lyn P

Post by Lyn P » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks Neil and Andy. Can you offer any advice on who to book through, are there companies that pan out cheaper than others or do special deals?
Is there a better airline to fly with?? Basically; any 'must knows', tips or advice would be appreciated - Thanks Guys

P Strange

Post by P Strange » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:50 pm

I have flown at lots of different times of the year with different copanies I consider them as a bus to get from a to b. So price is my main consideration My friend booked to go at the begining of nov for £280 rtn best ive ever done is £175 with Caladonia (many years ago does not exist now) BA are steady eddies usually about £ 420 rtn but are flexible as what day of the week you go & rtn, free drink too virgin are similar too! Using this this website as a fantastic tool u can get there without fear and perhaps see it from another perspective other than all inclusive. Either way you will regret it if you dont see for yourself. I rtn to tobago a week tomorrow to get wed have persuaded 26 others to come along too!

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:14 am

Hello Lyn,you can get all inclusive package holidays although I don't believe you will get the full flavour of the islands.I have been going to Tobago every winter for three or four months for a number of years and always stay in the villages.Arrange your own flight-I always go Virgin as I think they are far better than BA-and by using the accommodation section on this site find a book your own directly or via an agent on the Island(yes-tourism).It will be less expensive and you will get more of an experience.
David(will be taking off about now in SIX WEEKS WHOOOOPEEEE \:D/ )

Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!
Great Britain

Post by Paul Williams » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:13 am

Have just found the following on Meridians website 14 nights flying Excel on Thursday 9th November for £175 return which is the best price I have ever found (would need to go on a sicky to take advantage)

Regards
Paul

Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak
United States of America

Post by Bill B » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:21 pm

Paul,

IMHO Tobago would be the perfect cure for any sicky. When the boss asks, tell him "you hurt." When he asks where you hurt, tell him "at work" :P

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/

Return to “Health & Security”