Great Solution for Sand Fleas

Your questions on medical and security issues
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!
United States of America

Great Solution for Sand Fleas

Post by Joanne Green » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Just got back from Castara. Phil Strange (reader's forum user) had suggested a concoction using citronella oil & lavender oil mixed in a carrier oil. I went to my health foods store & found that the owner had taken several courses in the use of essential oils. She felt that the only thing that the carrier oil would do was to dilute the mixture. So I merely took a little bottle of each of the citronella & lavender oils. I would shake about 8 drops of each into the palm of my hand, mix them together & dab them on my legs. Remember that they are fleas, not flies, so they can only hop, so you don't have to do your whole body. I'm delighted to report that I only got bitten three times in 9 days!! Last time, I was covered. Note: make sure that the citronella is an essential oil. The oil used in bug lamps is flamable!

I applied the concoction before I went out in the morning and then again about 5PM. The smell wasn't particularly noticable--at least my husband didn't complain!

We miss Castara already!!

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 pm

:lol: I have been using baby oil with a few drops of lavendar/citranella oils mixed in on a regular basis during my visits and have have fewer bites with rigorous/regular application.

Bless, JENNY :lol: :mrgreen:

Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak
Germany

Post by Gisela Grell » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm

OK,
I will try lavender and Citronella Oil and maybe this helps against the sand fleas. Citronella and baby-oil did not help but maybe it was the wrong mixture. :roll:

One day I will find something to keep this %$&§$%$...animals away from my body :lol:

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de

P Strange

Post by P Strange » Tue May 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Glad the potion worked, yes carrier oil does dilute the potion thats the idea some essential oils are very strong and can cause serious reaction to different skin typs as any aromatherapist will tell you. dont forget the lavender will sooth bites stop the itch also relieve sun burn. Baby oil is mineral based so it doesent mix well also its molecules are larger than the skin pores so it sits on the skin rather than absorbed to the lower dermal layers you can even use plain old vegetable cooking oil. Anyway i tell a good story im usually that battered with rum punch i forget to use the potion anyway!!!

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Wed May 23, 2007 7:27 am

I use afew drops of citronella to 100ml of almond oil...seems to work for me.
Phil,you a drinker!!? I would never have guessed :roll: .Are you out for Cristmas this year?
David :D

Gabriele
Tobago Business
Tobago Business
Trinidad & Tobago

new mosquitos strategies

Post by Gabriele » Wed May 23, 2007 11:54 am

Found another effective way to protect feet and ankles: tiger balm! Affordable, handy and refreshing! Mosquitos don't like it! Ciao Gabriele

Caragh M

Post by Caragh M » Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Sorry to be thick but what is Tiger balm?? saw it in a chemist in Tobago and didn't know what it was made of or used for??

Please advise

Caragh

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Thu May 24, 2007 7:14 am

Caragh,Tiger Balm is an oriental externa treatment and consists of two types,Red and White.
Red is for deep muscle aches and pains-a sort of Deep Heat ointment,White is good for headaches,stuffy nose, insect bites and itchinesss.It does not prevent insects biting you but numbs the pain.People think it is anti sand fly but in fact as you don't feel the bite you don't scratch the irritation and get a spot of infection.
I believe it is still only made by the War-Par(I think that's it) company in Singapore,who are also one of the wealthiest families there.
They are also known for the leisure gardens Tiger Balm Gardens and also Tiger Beer!
David :D

Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!
Great Britain

Post by Jill M » Thu May 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi,
David is right - Tiger Balm numbs the bites.

I have a small jar here - the ingredients are:-

methol 8%
camphor 25%
demetholised mint oil 16%
cajuput oil 13%
clove oil 1.5%
paraffin & petrolium q.a

Ths one is white. It says for the symptomatic relief of muscular aches & pains, sprains, insect bites itching & headaches.

Edit : And it STINKS.

Jill

Caragh M

Post by Caragh M » Sat May 26, 2007 4:29 pm

So now I know....I was worried for a min that it was made from Tiger parts...it's not is it??

Might get some next time

Caragh

P Strange

Post by P Strange » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:29 am

W :twisted: OULD LUV TO BE OUT FOR CHRISTMAS AGAIN BUT ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN DAVID. SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON A FLIGHT TODAY BUT COULD NOT GET MY SHIFTS COVERED AT WORK, SO A LITTLE DOWN TODAY.
ESPECIALLY AS WE HAVE JUST HAD PHONE CALLS FROM FRIENDS WHO ARE ON THAT FLIGHT!!! NOT ALL BAD THOUGH ANACONDA IS HERE A WEEK ON MONDAY ARMED WITH DARK RUM, COCOMANIA, PEPPER SAUCE, ANGOSTURA BITTERS, MANGOS, ROTI SKINS & GREEN SEASONING I WILL BE COOKING PORK OIL DOWN WITH CASAVA DUMPLINGS AND THER MAY BE SOME RUM PUNCH HAD BY ALL WITH 2007 CARNIVAL SOCA JUST TO ANNOY THE NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!

David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy
Cornwall

Post by David Watkins » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 pm

Ya mon!!!!!Wine it!!!!!

Return to “Health & Security”