Bacolet Bay/Scarborough Areas

Your questions on medical and security issues
Carole Ward

Bacolet Bay/Scarborough Areas

Post by Carole Ward » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:57 am

Hi everyone, newbie here! My boyfriend and I are thinking of going to Tobago for Christmas this year (for the first time) and I was so excited ... until I started reading reports of crime and safety issues etc. Although most of you seem to be saying just take the sensible precautions as you would anywhere else.

We are thinking of booking Half Moon Blue at Bacolet Bay, has anyone got personal experience of this area and beach in terms of any security issues? Are hotels less of a target to thieves than private villas?

I know Scarborough is the capital so I would imagine if we went into the town there, we would need to be wary, or maybe thats not the case!

I went to Jamaica about 9 years ago and I spent nearly the whole time feeling unsafe and looking around me all the time and I don't want to feel like that, I want to have a holiday to chill out!

Also slightly off topic, but would we be able to get a boat trip to Little Tobago from around Bacolet Bay area?

Thanks and any advice welcomed!

Carole :)

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:02 am

Hi Carole

Welcome aboard! :lol:

To be honest, safety is certainly not an issue when staying in any of the hotels. I have not stayed at the Half Moon Blue, but know where it is, etc., and would not have any security concerns about staying there. Equally, I personally would be perfectly happy about walking from that hotel into, and around, Scarborough during the daytime. As with anywhere, one must excercise more caution at night.

The Half Moon at Montego Bay in Jamaica used to be one of my favourite hotels and we were regulars there for many years. However, I stopped going to Jamaica about 15-20 years ago because I became increasingly worried about safety and found the general attitude towards white visitors so uncomfortable. I have NEVER felt anything remotely like that in Tobago.

No, you can't get boats to Little Tobago from Bacolet I'm afraid (at least not unless you chartered something privately). Neither would it be a journey I would recommend - unless you are a real sailor. The seas on the Atlantic Coast can be pretty active and it makes me seasick just thinking about it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Carole Ward

Post by Carole Ward » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks Steve, I am glad I found your great forum, packed full of lots of useful advice! We will be sure to exercise caution at night then as I expect we will go into Scarborough some evenings for dinner as there doesnt appear to be much around the hotel in terms of restaurants.

Shame about the boat maybe I will have to find another way to do it as I would love to visit Little Tobago.

If you were comparing Scarborough to a town in the UK in terms of size what would you compare it to?

Carole

Steve Wooler
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Difficult one, Carole. Larger than Skipton and Ilkley, but not as large as Keighley - although the population are more spread out and so the town has more the feel of Skipton/Ilkley (but 5% of the character).
Steve Wooler

Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic
Great Britain

Post by Tony G » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:44 am

How interesting that you should mention Skipton, Ilkley and Keighley.

I'm a Keighley lad myself, though I haven't been back for years.

Tony

Steve Wooler
Great Britain

Post by Steve Wooler » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:54 am

Hi Tony

Well, it made sense to mention towns that Carole could relate to.

Its a small world. As a matter of interest, we (my parents, sister and I) lived in Keighley for a few years before I moved out to Guyana. That was back in the 50s, I must add - but we did stop by and have a look at the old house in Skipton Road while up there with my parents this time last year.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Health & Security”