Little boy missing

Your questions on medical and security issues
JerryT

Little boy missing

Post by JerryT »

Police in Tobago have intensified their search for five-year-old Parlatuvier resident Shakel Woods... Police believe that members of kidnapping rings in Trinidad have now migrated to Tobago. Police are asking members of the public to be cautious, and villagers to be aware of strangers in their neighbourhood. Residents of Parlatuvier will stage a prayer vigil over the weekend for the safe return of Woods.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Little boy missing

Post by Brian Taylor »

hold the horses! as far as I heard from a "local source" (living just down the road from parlatouvier) it was a domestic matter. not nice, but that happens all over the world with kids of devorcees or seperated parents...
it appears some part of the family took the child. still hope the matter get cleared up and the boy is OK with whomever he might be right now...
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh,Steph ,way to go girl
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

According to the papers, the coastguard, police and army have all been called in to search. As the parent of a young child - Steph too - we know all too well what can befall them and pray to God that it never happens to us, but it would appear that it's a tragic accident - or a family issue. Either way, an awful thing, but not something that warrants unnecessary scaremongering. Tobago is suffering enough right now from Tourists staying away due to financial constraints. The last thing we need are headlines like this. I wonder how many people just read the headline and think 'another one in Tobago' rather than looking further down the report to read that there's every likelihood that this is a tragic accident. Please God, he's found safe and sound, but headlines like this aren't helping anyone!

Tourism money filters through to every family in Tobago one way or another. Either directly or indirectly. People staying away because they think Tobago is now a vipers nest of crime and well on its' way to becoming Jamaica 2nd in terms of crime, will help no-one. I'm getting fed up with feeling like I have to defend Tobago.

I hope desperately that the little boy is found safe and well. I also hope that tourism picks up soon... Plus I hope that headlines like this - which will do far more harm than good - stop. Rest assured that if it turns out to be something nefarious, it WILL be reported on here. Sorry Jerry - I know you probably reported with the best intentions in the world, but things here are really tough right now - everyone is affected, and anything that can cause further detriment is not doing Tobago one iota of good.

Lisa.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: and now kidnapping it seems...

Post by Ronald »

Little boy missingI totaly agree with you Lisa, reacting too fast, without knowing the whole story about news like that, mostly make things worst. And bad PR is something Tobago doesn´t need.

Kidnapping for ransom isn´t common in Tobago, mostly criminal events in Tobago doesn´t affect the visitors at all. It´s between and against locals. It´s so even in Trinidad, and such crime as kidnapping is "business" and therefore it doesn´t affect visitors as they doesn´t carry a huge amount money with them. And even if some visitors are staying on high-cost hotels, that doesn´t always mean they are rich peoples.

Such crime as kidnapping against a visitor in Tobago, would most likely alert all sections of Police and Army in T&T, Normally Police, Special Police, Coastguards, Regular TTDF as well their Special Forces, voluntary units such TTCF as well and many locals too.

Ronald
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

I will reserve comment on what seems to have been sensationalist reporting of this case. Kidnapping in Parlatuvier? I find this harder to believe and accept than news of a brothel opening in the Vatican.

News is coming in that the body of the little boy was found in the sea a few miles off Buccoo. This is clearly a tragic case of the little boy falling in the sea and/or getting out of his depth and the sea and currents taking him down the coast.

I’m sure all our readers will join me in extending our sympathies and condolences to the family.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Health & Security”