Report from recent trip

Your questions on medical and security issues
Terry K

Report from recent trip

Post by Terry K »

I asked many questions on this forum about how safe it was in Tobago so feel compelled to report back on this issue after my trip. We took normal precautions that we always take when traveling but I was never on edge or afraid. The people we met were extremely friendly- we had wonderful interactions with shopkeepers, small restaurant owners and others. Our experience may be due to the fact that we did not really spend any time in the touristy area nor did we go out partying at night (just not our style). We went to the Crown Point area one day and found the crowded beach not to our taste so never returned. Perhaps this is the area where the crime is more prevalent. Our experience in Tobago was fantastic- we loved the beauty of the island and the warmth of the people.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Report from recent trip

Post by Hugh S »

Terry,

Welcome home. I'm glad you had a good trip and that all went well with Victor and the accommodations. We too, spend very little time in the touristy areas.

It is good of you to post this report after seeing Tobago for yourself. One bad incident can spoil a whole trip and one's perception of a place. It sounds like you came away with an honest impression after all your diligent homework.

We will hook up sometime, either in Tobago or in California.

Hugh 8)

PS. Hi Woody!
Dianne K

Post by Dianne K »

We have vacationed in Tobago for 4 years and have never had a negative experience. Perhaps this is because we limit our time in the touristy areas and stay in Castara.
Dianne
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi guys,

We honestly have to agree with you as we've just returned from a two week stay ( our 3rd visit) from the island and we felt totally safe and secure throughout our time overthere. And as Hugh says a false impession of the place shouldn't spoil one's vacation.

Regards

Robert&Agi
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

:D We recently returned from two weeks in Tobago and found all our fears re safety were unfounded. We stayed at The Toucan Inn in the Crown Point area and did not witness or experience any crime, neither did we feel at threat at anytime during our stay. It was actually the 'non touristy' areas that we warned to stay away from e.g. some of the more isloated beaches including Back Bay. This advice was given to us by the wonderful Sheppey (car-hire) and his lovely staff. Wherever we visited on the island (which we explored from top to bottom) we found everyone to be welcoming, friendly and helpful. In Crown Point we visited local bars as well as touristy venues and were always made to feel welcome. We walked out late in the evening and out two sons went clubbing at night and none of us had any problems at all. Of course there will be some crime and one has to excercise common sense and reasonable caution but that applies to anywhere in the world these days. Tobago is a wonderful island with wonderful people. Whilst we were there in February 2010, high season, we found bars and restaurants often empty and few people on the streets and even Pigeon Point on same days had very few people on it. It was obvious that fears of crime and violence have got out of hand with the Foreign Office not exactly helping with its very off-putting warnings. We nearly cancelled our trip because of its site - thank goodness we didn't!. We will be back next year!
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Rosy,
Glad you felt safe and had a good time. As you say there's crime surely but it is the same all over the world. I live in west London and I wouldn't say I find it any safer. In a previous post you've mentioned that your husband is a keen angler and I'm just wondering how he got on with the fishing during your stay?

Robert
Mari R
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Mari R »

To add to the previous comments...I just returned from a week long visit to Tobago with my husband and another couple. It was our first time visiting, and I must admit that due to some of the things I’ve been reading I was a bit anxious about our safety. However, after our first day those worries were gone. We stayed in a villa in Bon Accord and felt very comfortable walking around Crown Point during the day and evening. When we rented a car from Sheppy we were advised to avoid Back Bay, Mt. Irvine, etc., which we did. We had a great time exploring the island, and the most unsafe I felt during our stay was driving our car on the other side of the road around blind curves while others passed us...and we got used to (embraced?) that rather quickly :D

Just about everybody we met was warm and friendly and we never felt unwelcome (although we definitely found that a "Good Morning" with a smile made all the difference).

We certainly aren't seasoned travelers, but we always take the same precautions wherever we go as we do at home. We had a tremendous time and hope we have a chance to visit again in the future.
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Hi Robert,
Yes, my husband, Alan, is certainly a very keen angler but whilst he did catch in Tobago in February the fishing wasn't really too good. He says to write... the fishing was quite poor and that other more experienced Tobagon anglers also found this to be the case during the same period. The bait fish weren't there and locals told him that the fishing had switched off since December. Having said that he had a great time fishing from different locations e.g. Canoe Bay, Fort Milford and Pigeon Point and did manage to catch a few Jack Crevalle, some Houndfish and a small Bone Fish (Pigeon Point). We have now booked to return to wonderful Tobago same time next year (staying at Kariwak Village) and hopefully the fishing will have improved. However, regardless of the fishing though, Tobago is the place to be! We love it!

Return to “Health & Security”