Vaccination report from Health Center Ontario

Your questions on medical and security issues
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Vaccination report from Health Center Ontario

Post by Richardus »

We got our report in in regards to recommended vaccinations and health concerns as per going to Tobago in June from Ontario and thought I would share.

Keep in mind this is a tailored report to a middle aged couple from Ontario for June visit, but it may make an interesting guideline for some.

Basically, they recommend shots for tetanus, diptheria, hepa A and B and yellow fever. But other than that there is very little concern as to other diseases such as maleria or rabies.

I have already been through the six month vaccination process for Hepa A and B, my tetanus should still be active so all I need is yellow fever shots. Should be good to go!

Any recommendations from residents on this board will certainly be seriously considered and discussed with our doctor, thanks in advance!
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Vaccination report from Health Center Ontario

Post by Carol G »

Hi Richard,
A comment on suggested vaccinations. My husband and I are Canadians that spend a lot of time in Tobago and have been doing so for a number of years. I have no idea how Health Center Ontario came up with their info. Unless you are planning to go to South America getting a yellow fever shot is not something you need for Tobago. The Hep A&B is a good idea for anywhere in the Caribbean...our doctor in Toronto made sure we had the complete set of shots. I think now the two shot routine covers you for life....check with your family doctor about that. Tetanus is probably a good idea, anywhere. Other than that; maybe some of the following: pepto tablets (the water is fine to drink; but change of water or spices may get to you) insect repellent and anti itch medication (I still get very itchy from the no see'ms), your favorite pain killers (that would be for after playing in the waves OR maybe after the rum tasting......smile). A lot of these items are available in Tobago, but do you want to spend your time looking for them.
Have a great trip.
Carol
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Richardus, Carol,

the statement about yellow fever is not entirely correct.
In 2009 the T&T government recommended vaccination after some yellow fever cases in Trinidad for the entire population and sent mobile units everywhere in the country. I got my shot and many others i know, too. It does't hurt.
I would personally follow the recommendation of your local authority, as it is in line with what is done here.
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

I was thinking the same, although it is good to hear there is very little incidence of yellow fever there. The report comes from their records of what's been going on in TnT , they keep medical standards of every country in the world constantly updated with world health issues and outbreaks. I say it probly wouldnt hurt to get the yellow fever regardless. They are going to recommend flu shots too I'm sure as our gov't is always pushing everyone to get those, though we do not like getting the flu shots and have done just fine without them.
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Andy,
Thanks for info on yellow fever...definitely something we had not heard about. I did see though, that the gov't is suggesting if you are not going to forested (ie guess they mean "hinderlands"?? of Trinidad) the risk was minimal and definitely not a problem in Tobago. Up to Richardus and his wife to do the vaccination. I'm more concerned about dengue; not a nice thing. Repellent and netting the way to go.
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Hi!
Well, as UK residents we will be following the advice of The National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) which states the following:

There is a risk of yellow fever transmission in all areas of Trinidad except for Port of Spain which is considered less of a risk. There is no risk on the island of Tobago. Vaccine is not normally given for travel only to Port of Spain in Trinidad. Vaccine is not recommended for travel only to Tobago.

Therefore, we will not be getting vaccinated for yellow fever.... :D

Rosy.
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Rosy,

this appears to be correct, if you don't plan to visit Trinidad.
I haven't heard of any significant number of yellow fever cases since 2009, but that can start back any time,
and if visitors take a trip to Trinidad to see the pitch lake and other places in south Trinidad, i would always
recommend to get vaccinated.

As for dengue, readers should refer to threads in this forum regarding protection from mosquitos.
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Hi Andy,

Yep this year we won't be venturing off Tobago so no worries. However, last year (Feb 10) we did fly over to Trinidad and visited the Pitch Lake and the Caroni Swamp. What do you think about the fact that neither our tour operator or the resort tour guide recommended that we not go because we had not been vaccinated for Yellow Fever? Having said that, we returned home unscathed and had a wonderful time in Trinidad. Myself and my husband were guided by a lovely lady called Noella. She drove us to the La Brea Pitch Lake which was certainly a very intriguing experience, stopping on the way to sample the delicious Doubles from a road side stall. Then to her home for a delicious lunch of chicken pilau. She also showed us the Hindu temples at Chaguanas, and then having bought some indian snacks (pakora's etc) from another road side stall (the owners whom were friends of hers) she took us on a trip on the Caroni Swamp to see the Scarlet Ibis. This was a wonderful experience made all the more memorable because of the extreme friendliness of all the other people on the boat, mostly Trinidadians but also a lovely couple from New York who were visiting family. There was food and drink of all varieties being passed around the boat, including our indian delicacies, and there was a real party atmosphere. Obviously we all sat quietly when viewing the beautiful scarlet ibis as they came into roost at sunset. All in all an experience not to be forgotten and if Noella ever visits the MyTobago site we would like to thank her for such a lovely time and for her wonderful hospitality. Realise I am going off the subject somewhat and apologise as most of this entry should probably be elsewhere on the forum! :oops:
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Rosy,

no problem. I enjoyed reading your contribution and i am glad you enjoyed short tour through Trinidad. :)

As for warnings about yellow fever, which you would have expected from tour guides, the only comment i can make is
that they probably didn't think about it, because it was not so prevalent in 2010.
RosyV
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by RosyV »

Thanks Andy. Just re-read my post and hope anyone reading it doesn't thing all we did was eat during our Trinidad trip! Certainly seems like it doesn't it!? :)

Return to “Health & Security”