Safety Advice Request

Your questions on medical and security issues
Graham
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Safety Advice Request

Post by Graham »

Dear Forum Users

I have recently booked a holiday to Tobago for my girlfriend and myself. We will be across in the first two weeks of January, and are looking forward to the trip tremendously. We are both experienced travellers and are sensible when it comes to the basics regarding personal safety.

I have read through the more recent strands on the forum, and would appreciate some level-headed, local advice regarding crime. How is the general situation now, is it improving, and are there any areas on the island at present that we should avoid?

On a more specific matter, are there any crime-related issues regarding diving on Tobago? What I mean by this is whether there is any evidence that divers with expensive equipment face any particular risks?

Thanks for any advice you are able to provide

Graham
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Safety Advice Request

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Graham

Welcome aboard! :)

With regard to the general situation, I can only refer you to other posts in this sub-forum. Things are very quiet in Tobago right now - I mean both in tourism terms and in terms of security issues. I hate to tempt fate, but there has been a big increase and improvement in policing over the past few years and the effects are paying off. I understand that serious crime is down quite considerably. I haven't seen the figures myself, but I can certainly confirm that the number of reports of crime against tourists that I hear about has dropped dramatically in the last year or two.

There are no areas on the island that you should avoid except isolated beaches. The 'problem' ones are clearly marked as such in our Beaches section.

I have never heard of any thefts or 'problems' with diving gear. However, in truth, this is probably because most dive services collect and return customers to their accommodation. So, it is a total non-issue.

Enjoy planning your holiday - you will be in for a treat! :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Graham
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Re: Safety Advice Request

Post by Graham »

Dear Steve

Many thanks for the detailed and reassuring response.

Best regards

Graham

Return to “Health & Security”