Snorkeling in Castara beach

Your questions on medical and security issues
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Snorkeling in Castara beach

Post by Richardus »

I hear the snorkeling is really good at heavenly bay. As I would be going alone, Should I have any concern about undertow currents or any dangerous aquatic wildlife i.e. Sharks, manta, urchins etc?
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Snorkeling in Castara beach

Post by Brian Taylor »

right now the sea is rough and visibility is zero. by next week that might change. we will see.
we do have sea urchins in the bay, but since I guess you dont consider walking on our reef you dont have to fear them. we have some very peaceful stingrays. same here, if you dont plan to step on them or pull them out of the water,no danger involved. we do have a slight current out at all times, so you must always consider that the way back is a bit harder than the way out, but that is about it. going alone you could use a buoy and for your own safety maybe tell sharon at the boathouse you are going and report back when you are back... if anything they can send out a boat to look for you (if you intend to go far that is) ...and buy one of her rum punches after and relax on the deck :D
hope that helps
STEPH
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

Hah, thanks Steph, although I am a strong swimmer, I don't have a lot of experience with reef snorkeling (I grew up with freshwater lakes) so I want to make sure I'm taking precautions. Encountering large creatures may startle me a bit but I know to keep calm and that even carnivorous creatures generally will leave you alone if you appear strong and healthy.

Although Heather is not a strong swimmer, she will be watching for me from the shore and would be able to keep an eye on me too. I suppose the safest method would be to hire a guide to take me on a small boat for some snorkeling while they keep an eye on me from the boat. Perhaps there is someone in Castara that would do that for some TT.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

the reef starts right at the shore line, so you dont have to swim out far to see the fishes! but if you feel like going out a bit further I am sure you can find someone with a boat to help you out.
STEPH
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

Steph, I sent you an email, maybe we can meet while I'm there in two weeks :)
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

we surely will. you just stay right opposite from us. we can wave from balcony to balcony :D
STEPH
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

As I have now been in Castara for 6 days I feel qualified to upate the snorkeling situation in Castara from "doable" to "Totally stupendously awesome amazing".

Never before have I had such an incredible underwater adventure, encountering everything from massive live rock formations, countless species of coral, huge schools of colourful fishS, t was just like walking into a Jaques Cousteau documentary. When I get back I will submit a guest report and a link to a private web page dedicated to Castara.
Richardus
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Richardus »

I managed to get back without drowning, although snorkeling out too far under heavy surf proved to be a bit too challenging for me, however, Wednesday was remarkably clear and calmer and I managed to take some great footage while snorkeling just around in the bay. You can watch in HD but you need a good connection.
Here is what it looks like:

AshleyMills
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by AshleyMills »

Hi,

I've been in Castara a few days now and loving it.

What I would add about the snorkeling on Little Beach is that, and I'm not sure if this is already written as a general warning somewhere for Castara, but one should be careful entering the water around the reef area as there is fire coral quite close to the shore.

Someone we met here did cut himself on it because he went swimming out there without any knowledge. I would therefore advise, if you do not have a snorkel and are thus unable to check out the situation yourself directly, to limit your swimming to between the two rocks on the left of Little Beach, or to the 5m to the right of the nearest rock and the reef as this is basically just sand.

That said, saw my first stingrays today 8-[ :D

Saw two of the big ones (2m wingspan i'd estimate) just swimming past me near to the sandy area at the edge of the reef. I followed and ended up finding myself above one of the rays, with a stinger directly below :shock: so I gently swam myself away. But those creatures truly are a sight to behold, especially when you are not expecting these giant things to materialise in front of you :)

Anyway, back to liming

Ashley

Return to “Health & Security”