Toucan, Tropkist or Turtle??

20 room 2* hotel and restaurant inland at Crown Point.
CLOSED IN 2015. Now trading as Shepherd's Inn (see above).
Ed

Toucan, Tropkist or Turtle??

Post by Ed »

Hi All,

Don't know if any of you out there can help me..!

Looking to go to Tobago in Nov or Dec for a couple of weeks. Not got huges amounts of cash and have narrowed our options down to either:

A: Toucan
B: Rex Turtle
C: Tropkist

Having spent literally HOURS wading through this extensive & fantastic web-site, I'm still no nearer to making a decision!!!

Going with my girlfriend & we like snorkelling, sea kayaking, eating, good bars & a little bit of "life" after a day doing some or all of the above! Also prefer a not-so-busy beach, preferrably without too many dogs - are we asking too much?!

Any advice on chosing between these or indeed any new suggestions would be really helpful & appreciated... lastly - not so bothered about the luxuries, we'd rather meet the locals!

Thanks if you can help,
Ed
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ed

Welcome aboard!

You've set a poser there. Here are my first reactions. Others might have a different take on it.

A: Toucan Inn. Furthest of the three from a beach, but ideally suited for access to what "life" Tobago has. In terms of accommodation, would be my choice of the three. Being in the most popular area, the local beaches (Store Bay and Pigeon Point) will be busier than elsewhere, but equally there are more watersports and other facilities.

B: Rex Turtle. Right on the beach but I don't know whether there are any kyaking facilities there. Your "life" will be limited to what's available in the hotel, unless you have a hire car or are prepared to take taxis out. There's nowhere within walking distance. Other than the hotel staff and beach vendors, you're not going the remotest bit "local" here. Beach nice and quiet though.

C: Tropikist. Why risk it?
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richard

Post by Richard »

The Rex does have some basic water sport stuff inc some sort of kyack (I'm no expert you can tell).

There doesn't seem to be any formal rescue service. When we were there some chap got into trouble with a dingy. Rescue by kyack and swimmers.
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

Well anyone who has read any of my post will know I am biased... but it has to be Toucan Inn :lol:

The Rex Turtle is right on the beach and fabulous in April/May for watching Turtles lay there eggs, but it is in the middle of no-where!!
nuf said!!

Toucan Inn is an extremely friendly, cosy and inexpensive spot to stay. The rooms are basic and not for the discerning traveller but the are equiped with everything your will need for your stay. The breakfasts are fantastic, the lunches are excellent and the cocktails are devine (try the Italian Colada 8) !!)

I wrote quite a comprehensive report on Toucan when we came back and it is on this page somewhere, under 'Honeymoon at Toucan Inn'

If you have any other questions though just post them.

Joe
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks for the help guys - I've gone ahead & booked the Toucan Inn now for the last week in Nov, 1st wk Dec :D !

The more I read about the Island - the more I want to go - ditto with the Toucan Inn!!! Read some more great reviews on Wheretostay.com - all seems good.

Will post something on my return I'm sure - it'd be nice to be able to contribute something :!:

Ed
Joe King

Post by Joe King »

I'm Green with envy... well its actually the rugby jersey I'm wearing!!!

Any room in your suitcase for a little Irish man Ed?? :lol:

I'm sure you will have a ball!!
Last edited by Joe King on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Toucan Inn”