Guest Report

20 room 2* hotel and restaurant inland at Crown Point.
CLOSED IN 2015. Now trading as Shepherd's Inn (see above).
Sandy Scott

Guest Report

Post by Sandy Scott »

My wife and I returned from two glorious weeks in Tobago, having stayed at the Toucan Inn and I must say we were made to feel very welcome. Christine has been mentioned in various E-mails and she is as good as they say, warm welcoming and efficient.
The restaurant 'Bonkers' serves excellent food and there was plenty of variety, even the choice of wines was good. The employee of the month 'Clark' was worthy of his title, always treating us with a smile and a rum punch and he gives a mean massage 'al fresco' in the garden, its great do try it. 'Abby' is also worthy of a mention for her cheerful service and efficiency and a great 'frozen daquiri'.
The local entertainment was typical of a small Caribbean island and none the worse for that and if we had a moan it is the scale of smoking in public places, even the restaurant.
We were aware reading the website that smoking was allowed but hoped that the outdoor setting would dispel the fumes. However in the soft still evening air it did hang about and you could be fairly sure of a gulp of nicotine every time you had a bite of food. and there is no specified non-smoking area. However this is an island wide problem and not the fault of the Toucan, which has an excellent setting not far from a clean beach, with facilities and it's own very pleasant garden.
True there is no television in the rooms, a bonus point from my point of view and there is a taxi rank within the hotel itself run by the clourful Mr B, always recognisable in his red bowler hat or a vari-coloured alternative. 'Don't ever worry' he will remind you with increasing frequency and he means it.
All in all a joly nice and fun place to stay. We certainly enjoyed it.

Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: 2 Weeks at The Toucan

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Sandy

Thanks for your report. I am delighted you had a good time.

With regard to the smoking issue, I have to say that it is far from an island-wide problem in our experience. Most restaurants now ban smoking, but clearly some places do not enforce it as strongly as others. It frankly amazes me that there are still people rude and insensitive enough around to smoke whilst others are dining - and I speak as someone with a smoking partner.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Toucan Inn”