Guest Report

20 room 2* hotel and restaurant inland at Crown Point.
CLOSED IN 2015. Now trading as Shepherd's Inn (see above).
Lillian Newbery

Guest Report

Post by Lillian Newbery »

It is a great pleasure to stay in a place that is not part of a chain. Long may independent spots such as
Toucan Inn continue to offer accommodation that is neither homogenized nor predictable. When travelling we seek out the independents.

The bedroom was most comfortable and the bathroom completely adequate. In our room at least, it had two doors so was accessible from either side of the bed so you didn't disturb your partner if getting up in the night.A small touch but nice.

The onsite restaurant Bonkers is so well known in Tobago--that cab drivers and others know the place as
Bonkers rather than Toucan Inn, however we usually walked elsewhere for dinner just for variety and to explore.The quality of breakfasts varied; apparently several chefs cooked during the time we stayed but there was plenty to eat and it was fun watching the bananaquits and blue tanagers nibbling their sugar breakfasts at the same time.

The pool seemed to be a regular gathering place for some couples. Mostly we were out and about but I enjoyed the occasional dip and the lounge chairs were just fine. The variety of plants in the garden was interesting.

I was sorry not to be able to rent snorkels and fins from the dive shop located at the inn. The staff there told me to go to a nearby shop to rent but it had been closed for some time permanently. It seems you can't rent snorkel equipment unless you go with a group on an excursion. This is not a comment on the Inn, just a head's up to bring your own fins and mask if you want to snorkel independently.

The staff at the Toucan Inn was pleasant, good humored, competent and polite. We enjoyed out trips with the guide at the hotel and with his colleague who filled in when he was booked. The Toucan Inn seems to fill up quickly; we found ourselves needing one more night. The desk staff helpfully found us a nearby place that was convenient if not nearly so nice. We were happy to buy a painted tile made by one of the staff. We also liked the young waiter who would sing one of his own compositions on request. The cleaning staff were discreet and we liked the system of opening the curtains to show that the room could be cleaned. We were glad to hear that the Inn had rescued, as it were, some workers from the Philippines who had apparently been swindled by an overseas employment agency that promised them the earth and did not deliver.

On the evenings Bonkers featured entertainment the show closed down in good time, so it didn't disturb our sleep.

I think the Inn would benefit from having an onsite host, so long as he or she was of the right personality. It's small enough to benefit from a meeter and greeter.

Return to “Toucan Inn”