Holiday Report 8 - Paradise Found Villa

Luxury 5-bedroom beachside villa at Mt.Irvine (listing)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Holiday Report 8 - Paradise Found Villa

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 07 February 2003

The first two weeks of our 2003 trip to Tobago was dedicated to research and review for myTobago.info and we moved to different accommodation every three days. It was a fascinating, if tiring, experience. Living out of a suitcase is not really my cup of tea.

Two inches of snow brought England to a halt last weekend (this could only happen in England). This caused us an unsettled 24 hours as my sister was due to bring my parents out on Saturday to celebrate their imminent 80th birthdays. Conditions in the UK disrupted flights and the car booked to take them to the airport couldn’t get through. How delighted we were to see them on the steps of the arriving JMC flight.

As a party of six, the emphasis of our visit has changed. We are no longer moving every few days, but are spending the two weeks in two very different villas. This is the first time I have used villa accommodation. After six days, I am totally sold on the concept.

We are currently at Paradise Found Villa, a stunning 5-bedroom villa located on the hill immediately opposite the Mount Irvine Bay Beach Facilities. Passing visitors are sure to have commented on the villa’s impressive cylindrical stone-faced turret, clearly visible from the road. Built over ten years ago, Paradise Found is set in well established and attractive gardens on a plot of around one acre literally ‘across the road’ from the beach.

The villa gives the appearance of being a long low single-storey building when approached from the main entrance in Gleneagles Drive, which runs parallel to the coast road. However, because it is set on a hillside dropping down to the seafront, it is actually a two storey property.

The villa is large and of totally original design. Imagine an L-shaped building, 115 feet long by 75 feet wide, housing five bedrooms, main lounge and dining area, kitchen and laundry room. Inside the ‘L’ is the 36-foot diameter covered patio which sits atop the distinctive turret seen from the road. When I first heard that Paradise Found had an ‘indoor’ pool, I was frankly horrified. Then owner Pat Thompson explained that it was more of a ‘covered’ pool. I was still sceptical. Having arrived, I have to say that the covered patio is outstanding and is undoubtedly the villa’s strongest feature.

The patio has a lovely domed wooden roof, supported by 14 external pillars and a 20-foot central column. It is open on every side and provides wonderful views of Mt.Irvine Bay, Buccoo Reef and Pigeon Point. Set high above the beach, it captures all the wonderful sea breezes, making the ceiling fans almost superfluous. Nearly 50% of the patio area is taken by the kidney-shaped swimming pool. The remaining are is filled with sun loungers, casual tables and chairs (ideal for breakfast and luncheon, in preference to the formal dining area) and a gas-fired barbeque. This patio area has inevitably become the focus of all our activity. Day or evening, you could not ask for a more perfect location to chill and pass away the hours in total relaxation when not at the beach or out touring.

The massive master bedroom (approx 30’x16’ overall) has two queen-sized beds, separated by an area larger than some hotel rooms. Our entire party can comfortably relax on the table, chairs and sun-loungers of the master bedroom’s huge 30’x9’ balcony, which offers wonderful views of the bay. The four remaining bedrooms range in size from around 18’x20’ to 24’x24’ overall. All bedrooms are fully air-conditioned and the three larger rooms have substantial walk-in wardrobes and a fridge. The tasteful and immaculate décor of Paradise Found Villa is a mixture of old-colonial and modern.

Paradise Found’s cheerful and helpful housekeep, Claudia, is in attendance six mornings a week. Towels are supplied and changed every other day, although you are naturally asked to bring your own beach towels. Bed linen is normally changed twice a week. Claudia keeps the place immaculately – no easy task given the open-air nature of the property which does mean that leaves and petals constantly blow in from the garden. A gardener and pool maintenance man are in attendance three times a week, totally unobtrusively.

This is only supposed to be a summary review, so I will save full details for our main illustrated report. Suffice it to say that I really cannot recommend Paradise Found Villa highly enough. I can honestly say that none of our party can find any substantive criticism of the villa. Maybe a ‘welcome pack’ of essential catering supplies to cover the first breakfast would be appreciated by visitors arriving on late afternoon flights. Yes, Mt Irvine Beach, immediately opposite, is a little limited and scruffy, but excellent swimming is available just five minutes walk away and the villa is directly adjacent to Back Bay, one of the most spectacular beaches on Tobago.

We shall be very sad to leave Paradise Found Villa tomorrow, but will definitely return.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

The above summary review was written during our stay at the villa and presents an accurate reflection of our immediate impressions of Paradise Found Villa. The full, illustrated review is now available through our Review pages and contains much fuller and more accurate information about the villa (having now been able to validate room sizes with the owners).

Please enjoy!!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Paradise Found Villa”