Tobago Newbies Seeking Guidance on Where to Stay

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
AndyandLaura
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Tobago Newbies Seeking Guidance on Where to Stay

Post by AndyandLaura »

Hi all,

Sorry in advance for long post! My fiancé and I were lucky enough to win flights to Tobago recently. We're booked our flights and are now looking at accommodation. myTobago.info has been a huge help so far but our knowledge of Tobago is limited (and what we do know we only learnt the past few days), so was wondering if someone with more knowledge might be able to guide us?

We'll be in Tobago from 9-20 Feb 2015, and have a vague plan of what we'd like to do, although this is flexible:

9-11 Feb 2015 : Crown Point
Start off in Crown Point to "break us in" to Tobago and for ease to get from airport. Priority is somewhere reasonably priced and clean, a pool and within walking distance of a beach would be great.

11-15 Feb 2015: Caribbean Coast (e.g. Castara, Mt. Irvine)
Hire a car and take a trip up the Caribbean coast to a more secluded location, ideally with amazing views, a pool and easy access to a beach. There seems to be lots of spot along this part of Tobago. My main concern is my phobia of bugs and dislike of all generally creepy crawly type creatures. I've noticed Castara isn't recommended for phobics like me - how bad is it? Is it like this the entire coast, or is there somewhere we can go to strike the balance between tourist hotspot and bug-heavy zone? (I appreciate it will be impossible to avoid bugs altogether, but if I can avoid them where possible, rather than plonk myself into the most rural, bug filled area in all of Tobago, that would be good!)

15-18 Feb 2015: Scarborough
Drive to Scarborough for Carnival. We're keen to stay within walking distance, as the site suggests driving isn't really an option during Carnival, but the accommodation options seem limited. We've contacted Salsa Cottage and Sandy's B&B for availability info but suspect they'll be booked up. Is it essential to stay in the area for Carnival? Is extra public transport put on, or are there tour buses from other areas run by guides? We're happy to walk a fair distance to save the hassle of driving if needs be, but are obviously also concerned about safety of walking if it is through rural areas.

18-20 Feb 2015: Crown Point
Drive back to the airport vicinity for a final 2 nights, so we are conveniently located for our departure. Would quite like somewhere a bit more luxurious for these 2 nights - doesn't have to be 5* - but somewhere that is a bit more than the basic places we are used to. Coco Reef is probably a bit out of our price range, so somewhere a bit cheaper and a little less fancy would be ideal.

Our overall accommodation budget is £550 per person for 11 nights, so looking at an average of £100 a night, although obviously the less we spend the better!

Any advice / guidance to help us Tobago newbies out would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance of any kindly provided input! :D
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Tobago Newbies Seeking Guidance on Where to Stay

Post by Chris Runciman »

Why move on so many times?
Go straight up to Castara.
Who said it was 'buggy'? Some places will always be more susceptible to mosquito depending on how close the surrounding vegetation is and any standing water. There is nearly always an evening offshore breeze which deters mosquito.
Sand flies ( bites below the knee ) are more active around dusk. There are various deterrents for them.
For carnival you do not need to be staying IN Scarborough to enjoy it. Almost everyone drives in or catches a lift I
in and out. For a relaxing stay settle for one place, get to know the people. The beaches at Castara & Englishman's just up the coast are quieter and more like the Caribbean destination you want , trust me! Warning though, Tobago, and especially Castara, are addictive! You WILL be back !
Try Kariwak for the last 2 nights, very calming surroundings to set you up for the trip home.
Please note I am biased towards Castara as we went there on holiday and ended up living there.......!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Andy and Laura

Chris is totally biased, as he admits. However, he is also totally correct in everything he says. :(

Funnily enough, the 'buggiest' place we have found on the island has tended to be the Bon Accord development and all that area around the Bon Accord lagoon. Not really surprising, I guess, given that its all mangrove swamp with lots of still water. I'm not going to make any recommendations on accommodation, because it all depends on your budget and preferences and more than enough of this site is already dedicated to my views on the subject. However, I 100% agree with Chris - don't move on so many times. Frankly, in the time you're there two moves will be enough. More than that and you are not going to get to know the place properly.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
AndyandLaura
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by AndyandLaura »

Hi both,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Ironically the reason we were planning to move around was to see as much of the island as possible! We'd happy to stay put if this would still be possible from 1 or 2 locations. The main issue is we don't want to hire a car for the duration as this would work out very pricey.

My hesitation for Castara was from Steve's review for Castara Retreats: "Anyone with phobias about bats, birds, lizards or spiders would be wiser to consider one of the large air-conditioned hotels at the more populated end of the island." Am I to understand that this isn't specific to Castara, more to that specific property? We really want somewhere with great views, pool and beach access, but my fear is great enough to sacrifice this. Or maybe I should just go for the extreme and hope my phobias are cured?!

Completely agree Steve with the amount of incredibly detailed reviews available on the site - it is very impressive and so great to see that you're so passionate about the place, and for someone like me who knows nothing, it's an incredibly useful resource. The problem for a newbie like me though is that it's a little overwhelming trying to read everything and figure out where to stay! There's so many amazing sounding places... I think I'm going to need a spreadsheet to sort them all out and make a decision! :-s

Laura
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Don't worry about bugs Laura, we live with a 200 acre English woodland/lakes at our back garden in Norfolk and we see far more flies, spiders etc here than we ever did living in Tobago for several years - in fact I could count on one hand the number of spiders we saw there. You see there are so many animals which eat the bugs fast, eg lizards, bats and birds in the tropics. Most bugs are tiny and invisible hence the nickname "no see'ums". I know that tarantulas are supposed to love deep in the rain forest but we never saw one near any homes (or at all in fact). For the same reason cobwebs in our homes were rare, as the lizards zap em up before they make any. Just relax and be reassured that any english garden in summer is far worse for bugs - you won't be troubled by nasty summertime wasps, for instance and rarely see bees. Follow Steve's tip and avoid the Bon Accord/swampy areas.

Return to “General Accommodation”