Sandy Bay Cottage

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Sweet_TnT
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Sandy Bay Cottage

Post by Sweet_TnT »

Hi guys,

I'm going back to Tobago after a long time with my young family, mother and sister. When I have been there in past I've been I the Bon Accord/Crown Point area.

We're looking for somewhere to stay and it seems to be between two places. Bayview villa's Mid Deck (Location, location, location!) Or Sandy Bay Cottage in Plymouth. The thing is there doesn't seem to be any reviews of Sandy Bay Cottage on this site.

Has anyone been there? Any thoughts on the location? It seems more local village... Which could be nice and quiet, but could be a bit far from anything. Thoughts please.

Is Bayview Villa/Black Rock too touristy? Or is it a nice balance between the more busy crown point and the quieter parts of the island?

Thanks!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Sandy Bay Cottage

Post by Steve Wooler »

Welcome aboard! :)

I confess that I'd never heard of Sandy Bay Cottage. However, I've managed to trace it. The location is very "local" and you are highly unlikely to see any tourists there. It is just a short walk into Plymouth centre, where there is a useful mini-mart, but little else. There's a couple of local restaurants (day, not evening) and a half-decent Chinese takeaway, but that's your lot. The beach is only really exposed at low tide and the seas can be extremely rough there. The last time I saw that 'beach', it was somewhat scrappy with flotsam and discarded household waste.

Bayview Villa at Pleasant Prospect is a different ball game. The area is not 'touristy' in the normally-accepted sense of the world, but yes - you won't feel like a total stranger. It is just a short walk from Bayview to what we consider the best beach on Tobago - far safer for swimming than Plymouth. You've also got one of the best restaurants in Tobago within walking distance. Likewise, a useful mini-mart, vegetable stall, pizza takeaway and an ATM cash machine. To be honest, it's a no-brainer from our perspective. Its only fair to mention that I might be prejudiced as we are due our 4th stay at Bayview in a month's time.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Sweet_TnT
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Sweet_TnT »

Thanks for your input. :)

I have another question about Bayview. Is there a view of the sea from the mid deck? The captain's quarters look great, but you seem to be among the trees on that middle level.

If I do go to Sandy Bay Cottage I'll report back here. The property looks nice. Views are great. There is room for kids to run around. And there are more beds than Bayview's mid deck... Black Rock seems more convenient on a day that you're not driving about! But...

https://youtu.be/cUqFOm2K6nA

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

No, I'm afraid that there's no direct sea view from the Middle Deck at Bayview. All the apartments are great (see our review and video) but even up on Captain's Quarters you only have a very limited sea view.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Sweet_TnT
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Sweet_TnT »

Well we were going for the Bayview place but that's fallen through and now it's between Horseshoe House or Mock Turtle villa. I'm torn again!

Horseshoe house is still in the good location and it's bigger. But reviews suggest that it's slightly run down? And also it's open to the mosquitoes. Not fun.

Mock Turtle villa is smaller, but fully air-conditioned i.e. you can close the door on the bugs and spray the house! The real downside seems to be the location.

Any thoughts if anyone is still reading?
Blackman
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Blackman »

Is the location of the Mock Turtle villa that bad?

Return to “General Accommodation”