Traveling solo

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Derek

Traveling solo

Post by Derek »

Hello everyone!

Newbie poster with a newbie question here. I'm thinking about visiting Tobago for 7-8 days and wondering how difficult it is for a person traveling alone to find accomodation? I've noticied that many of the places to stay show rates for double occupancy, is it going to be prohibitively expensive for me to find accomodation for only myself? Finally, how would you sugest a person staying for 7 days see Tobago, traveling village to village or staying in one spot and doing day trips?

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this website, it has been extremely informative.
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

It's difficult to answer your questions without knowing a bit more about what you like from a holiday and what you consider prohibitively expensive. Do you like AI or do you prefer more independence?
Unless it's a particularly busy time of the year I don't think you'd have any difficulty in finding available accommodation where ever you go in Tobago, unless you are very particular.
You might like to consider prebooking a few nights in a hotel/guest house in the south of the island for your first few days and then hire a car and have an adventure, finding places to stay as you travel around and stay put if you find somewhere you particularly like.
One thing I found was that the longer I stayed the more relaxed I got and the more relaxed I got the more I enjoyed just being there and not doing anything much at all! 8)
I highly recommend spending time in villages like Castara, Charlotteville etc as these areas are less touristy, because that's what I like, but you may be different?
Have you had a look through the accommodation listings as that is a good place to start? Also it is well worth contacting places directly and asking for a single occupancy rate.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

hello
sounds right what julia says. just like to point out: it is important to know when you would like to travel. at the moemtnt we have a lot of people wandering arround, looking for accomodation and beeing dissapointed because everything is booked out....other times of year that would not happen....
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about coming in mid to late March. I prefer to be independant and generally stay away from tourist crowds. I wouldn't think of doing an AI. I would like to do some fishing, hiking snorkling (diving?) and relaxing on my trip. I would prefer affordable accomodation over luxury as I am a recent university graduate traveling alone.

Is Tobago a good choice for me?
What type of accomodating will I be able to find for a person traveling alone?
Should I plan to travel around the island staying in a different village each night or should I stay in one place an travel from there?

Thanks again!
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

I prefer to be independant and generally stay away from tourist crowds. I wouldn't think of doing an AI. I would like to do some fishing, hiking snorkling (diving?) and relaxing on my trip.
It sounds as though Tobago is a great choice for you.
I don't know (hopefully someone who does will say) but I imagine that there will be a lot of people visiting during the Easter period and it may be risky to leave finding aaccommodation until you're there.
I wouldn't want to travel to a different village each night, that would be far too exhausting for me and would give me little chance of just generally soaking up the atmosphere.
Perhaps staying in 2 or 3 different places would be an idea? One or two nights in the South, three or four half way up the West coast and three or four in the North. Have a look at the map on this site.
The accommodation listings on this site are arranged by area so you could have a look and see what accommodation you like the look of that suits your price and contact them to see if they have availablility and if they do a single person discout?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Derek,contact YESTOURISM,I am a single traveller and they arranged my stay wonderfully.
David,32C and Not looking forward to UK!

Return to “General Accommodation”