help with accommodation! Self catering preferably

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Heather Phillips

help with accommodation! Self catering preferably

Post by Heather Phillips »

Hello,
I have found the site very helpful - so far but need more advice from users.
We (me and hsuband) are going to Tobago in late november for 14 nights -and we are looking for accommodation which:
has self catering facilities
Preferably a couple of bars or cafes nearby ( walking distance)
Will get sunset views (limits the availability somewhat!)
Pool or near beach -where I can loll about whilst my husband ( who does not do lolling) can explore either on foot or by bike, he likes historical buildings, nature, cliff top walking (a tall order I know!)
We will hire a car for the duration - but want to pick the right place.
We have seen Castara retreats and like those - but I think there is no pool and have been put off Oceanpoint by bad reviews and eco place ditto.
All advice would be gratefully received.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Heather

Welcome aboard :lol:

My, what a tall order. I must confess that nowhere springs immediately to mind that fits ALL your requirements. The best thing is to use the Search facilility in the Eat & Sleep/Accommodation section to give you a broad list. You can refine it from there then come back to the forum with questions on specific properties.

Based on your requirements, though, I would just make the following general comments:

a) Unless you stay in the built-up Crown Point area, or in one of the villages (Castara, Speyside, Charlotteville), very few places will be within walking distance of a choice of bars/cafes.

b) Pretty much everywhere on the Caribbean coast will get sunset views. Even properties on the Atlantic side can benefit from lovely sunsets as the sun sets over the hills behind the property.

c) Our property lists will tell you how near a decent beach the property is. Please note that VERY few small guesthouses - particularly those outside the Crown Point area - have pools.

d) That's not that many historical buildings you can explore without extensive driving around. Scarborough is about the only place.

Have fun searching and come back any specific questions.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

Come on Steve I like to read what you think about things but appearing 4 times is a bit much.
Heather
It sounds to me that if you pick the right place to stay Castara would be the good for you, although you will struggle with the pool the beach is great and the Naturalist is as close as you could get to it.
You can find some wonderful walks if you are willing to get off the main road.
The choice of bars is ok as long as you do not mind sitting outside chatting to the locals and 10pm is as late as most people are about but this allows you to get up early and enjoy the best part of the day.
Wherever you decide to go you will not regret it as it is a wonderful island.
Regards
Paul
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Ooh, aah! How strange. I wondered why my fingers were so tired - it must have been typing that lot out four times.

Anyway, surplus messages deleted. It will be interesting to see if it does the same to this reply.
Steve Wooler
Neil Roberts
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Neil Roberts »

Have a look at Alibaba's Sea Breeze Apartments at Castara; no pool, but spacious and you won't get a lot closer to the beach. We stayed there this July and thought it excellent. Any questions, please feel free to get in touch. Kind regards, Neil Roberts.
G Strachan

Castara Retreats

Post by G Strachan »

Hi Heather, We are off to Castara Retreats later this week for the first time. We have stayed in another property owned by the same people ( in a diferent part of the world ) and it was very special. As soon as we got back home we booked Castara Retreats. Sue and Steve could not have been more helpful on both occasions. We even had an e mail from them this week wishing us a safe journey. I have every confidence, can't wait to get there.
This time next week - sun , sand , fish and deet - BLISS.

Have fun.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Heather,there is one place that has its own swimming pool in Castara.It's adjacent to Retreats about 50metres from the beach and bar.It is Angel Apartments and is owned by Dexter and Debbie Taylor of the Cascreole Bar and Restaurant. I think they may be quite expensive however.Give 'em a call.
David(64 days to go...Whoopeeeeeee! \:D/ ).
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Angel Apart web sit is http://www.angel-apartments.com
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

David Watkins wrote:Heather,there is one place that has its own swimming pool in Castara.It's adjacent to Retreats about 50metres from the beach and bar.It is Angel Apartments and is owned by Dexter and Debbie Taylor of the Cascreole Bar and Restaurant. I think they may be quite expensive however.Give 'em a call.
David(64 days to go...Whoopeeeeeee! \:D/ ).
Sorry David but Castara Retreats is not adjacent to Angel Apartments! Castara Retreats is situated at the other end of the village overlooking the Big Bay. :?
Roland Siebenhorn
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roland Siebenhorn »

I've just had a look at the website of Angel apartments, in the "Tobago Information" section. There's written: "Driving is on the right hand side"!
Did the goverment change the directon overnight? Great! This makes it easier for me in December..... :wink:
Go to http://www.locki.net/tobago/bilder.php for my photos of Tobago
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Ooops! Looks like the website builders (based just 30miles down the road from here in the UK) got their knickers in a twist there - or maybe they just haven't been able to figure out which side of the road you're supposed to drive on given the general standards of driving on Tobago.. :roll:

If I get a second, I'll write and let the owner know so he can get his site corrected and not risk misleading anyone. (Sorry, David, but Dexter only manages the place, its actually owned by a firm local to me here in East Anglia).
Steve Wooler
Kat Blomfeld
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Kat Blomfeld »

During our last stay in Castara, a man called Mark or Martin was holding court in Cascreole. He and his companion were straight out of EastEnders. It came as no surprise when he said he was from Essex. :wink: He kept referring to his “investments” and made out that he virtually owned the village. He owns Cascreole judging by the way Dexter and his staff deferred to him. To be honest, he was so obnoxious that after two days we stopped going to Cascreole rather than bump into him. We weren't the only ones to comment on him and the 'minder' he had with him. Someone told me that he owned that horrible out-of-character new apartment block behind the Boat House, which I assume is the Angel Apartments? No thanks, is all I can say. We’ve met the owners of several Castara guest houses and have always been struck by how much they love and care for the village. If this man marks a new breed of Castara entrepreneur, then Castara could be the new Blackpool.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

say about Martin all you want, but he is a shareholder in angel apartments business. please don't judge the house by him, but by dexter and debby who are in fact lovely people.
the cascreole restaurant does not belong to him! it was there long time before he came to tobago!!!! it is owned by dexter!
he does not own or have shares in any other business in castara!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi all

I can't say I'm happy about Kat's post, but I guess anything that affects the running of businesses on the island is relevant to this forum.

May I please qualify my comments to David, as I appear to have been on the receiving information of similar misinformation. Dexter manages and runs the Angel Apartments and owns 50% of the business. His UK partner is not involved in the daily running of the apartments.
Steve Wooler

Return to “General Accommodation”