On a shoestring .......

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Janet

On a shoestring .......

Post by Janet »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 06 August 2002

We are toying with the idea of a fortnight in Tobago with three children (9, 11, 13) over Easter 2003; don't really want a 'resort' holiday and can't afford a villa so were wondering about the cottages in Man'o'War Bay. Does anyone have any feedback on them? - or any other suggestions for reasonably priced 3 bed self-catering accommodation near the beach? We're not fussed about pools and entertainment. I'm also a bit concerned about security; just how safe IS it to stay at places which are slightly off the beaten tourist track? Many thanks for any help you can give.

Janet
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 08 August 2002

Suggest that the Blue Mango in Castara is suitable for family and kids, so see http://www.blue-mango.com Also what about Tobago Carnival if you can go earlier, great for the kids yours blackjim
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dear Janet and Family, we find you have made a good choice, especially for children at that age. You have the beach right in front of your doorstep. We recommend that you book a beach front cottage. That gives you the big advantage to always watch your children. Charlotteville is a secluded fishing community with all amenties, quite safe for the whole family. Our experience with this accomodation has never gave us any negativ feedback so far. We will be pleased to assist you for any further questions you may have.

Kind regards
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Janet.

As mentioned on the site, I first stayed at the Man-O-War Bay Cottages back in the 50s and early 60s. So fond are my memories that I never visit Tobago without a visit to Charlotteville and a walk past the cottages. I haven’t stayed at the Cottages in recent years, but I’ve certainly seen them. They seem in good order and do represent excellent value. However, you will need to hire a vehicle if you’re going to stay anywhere outside the Crown Point area – forget public transport. If you’re looking for a true Robinson Crusoe experience and your children don’t need arcades and such amusements (if they do – forget Tobago) then you couldn’t have picked a nicer place. The right sort of people will think they’ve found heaven in Charlotteville!

I don’t know where you live, so the question of security is difficult to answer. It’s all relative. All I can say is that Tobago is one of the few places in the world that I feel totally safe, even in the most isolated back roads. Yes, there’s bound to be some petty pilfering, as there is everywhere – but that’s about the limit of it. Obviously you must apply common sense to every aspect of security. You wouldn't leave your watch and wallet on the beach – some other tourist might steal it. No, I really don’t think you need to worry on that score. You'd be surprised how protective the locals are towards visitors.

Have a great time, wherever you stay. Please post a report on your return and let us know how you got on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “General Accommodation”