Safety of Deposits

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Aimee Oberhaus

Safety of Deposits

Post by Aimee Oberhaus »

I am in the midst of planning my wedding in Tobago. We have found a great villa (5 star review on this site), but my dad is freaking out about giving a deposit to a foreign account. He is so afraid we are going to show up and have no place to stay. In the US we don't do many bank transfers for payment. How do I convince him this is safe? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Safety of Deposits

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Aimee,

You could always contact some of the other people who have posted reviews on this site of the villa in question. I'm sure they had similar misgivings, but it might help your cause!

Also, the villa may use a tour company that's internationally recognised (we have ATOL and ABTA bonding in the UK), so that if anything goes wrong, you're covered.

Whilst I really don't foresee a problem, I can understand your fathers' reluctance! It's a leap of faith to book something abroad and you have no comeback should anything go wrong, especially for something as important as a wedding! Fortunately, Tobago isn't like that, but until you've been here and seen how it operates, that's easy for me to say!

Good luck - and I hope you have an amazing wedding - I'm sure you will!

Lisa.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Aimee

Welcome aboard!

Your father is quite right to be cautious. This is not something that should be done lightly.

Firstly, please don't hesitate to contact me privately. Tell me where you are staying and I can be more specific. If the property is one of those that we personally recommend, then I am 100% confident that you have nothing to worry about. We do not include anyone in our lists unless we are satified that they are 100% reliable and trustworthy. Obviously, my knowledge of the owners/managers may vary from little to nothing on other property, but as I say, if you contact me I will comment as honestly as possible.

There is one overriding thing to remember which applies regardless of whether a specific property is recommended or not. This website is primarily a consumer site. Yes, the site primarily promotes tourism to Tobago - but it does so and has proven so popular because it promotes Tobago by telling the truth about the island and steering visitors to the best and away from the worst of the island. So, if any hotel/rental was treating visitors in a bad way, double-booking, or proving unreliable in any way, we would be the first to shout about it. As long-time regular readers will confirm - although a rare occurence, we don't hesitate to 'out' properties that are misbehaving or which we feel the public should not trust.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Rick C

Post by Rick C »

We are looking to stay at the Tropical Treasures townhomes in Crown Point and they are looking for a 50% cash transfer as a deposit. Does anyone have any information on this particular establishment?

Thank you Rick C
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Rick

Welcome aboard! :D

Sorry, I have no personal knowledge of these apartments or their owners, except to say that I think they are Trinidadian. I mention this because it is hugely difficult for residents of T&T to get credit card merchant accounts. The banks there are truly in the dark ages still. As a result, expensive bank transfers are pretty much the only way of taking deposits. Hopefully someone else has knowledge of these apartments and can reassure you.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “General Accommodation”