Villa for 3 adults and 2 2year olds

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Dimitri

Villa for 3 adults and 2 2year olds

Post by Dimitri »

First I would like to say what a marvellous website you have created. The google map is absolutely fantastic to get your bearings in a few clicks.

We are planning on going to Tobago for the first time at the end of January. We are looking for a villa with pool and seaview with maximum budget 400$ a day and a high standard of security.

We would like to have an ok beach at walking distance to have a dip in the morning but we will have a car and don't mind to drive 10-15' to get to a fantastic beach. As we have two small children, we thought the beaches we should go to are Pidgeon Point, Canoe bay and Kylgwin bay. Store Bay seems very unattractive.

We would like to have some nice restaurants within a 15' range.

Are there some areas which have less mosquitos than others? The Black Rock area with the lush vegetation seems more mosquito prone than the plantation area.

We thought Villa Palexaura or Oceana would be a good idea. We are a bit worried about the works at the VLH hotel. Any idea about the impact of those? Any idea if the closure of the hotel means less security for the area? Do you think the wind will be too strong this time of year to be able to enjoy the swimming pool and garden? Should we swap to another area?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Villa for 3 adults and 2 2year olds

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Dimitri

Welcome aboard - and thanks for your kind words. :D

Having spent five days or more at something like 60 different accommodation properties on Tobago over the last six years, I have to tell you that the issue of mosquitoes is more "luck of the draw". During the dry (high) season, they are frankly never a problem to most people - although some unlucky souls will quickly shout me down there. Basically, all the decent hotels and accommodation properties take every step to rid their property of mosquitoes. Sandflies on the beach are the real problem - and whilst I am not defending mosquitoes, so often visitors use the generic term "mosquitoes" to blame all bites.

Yes, as a general guide you will get less mosquitoes on the Atlantic coast than on the Caribbean; simply because the wind blows them away. Equally, however, there is little good swimming on the Atlantic coast. The seas and winds tend to be at their strongest by late January.

I haven't been to Tobago since work started on the VHL, but I imagine the work is pretty low key and won't affect anyone staying anywhere on the Tobago Plantations development - other than the absence of what had been the only local facilities (i.e. the hotel).

I can't comment on the villas you mention, because I've never visited them. The location is entirely a matter of personal preference. However, I have to say that they are on a very exposed headland (but not as bad as the properties immediately behind them). I am also a little concerned by the lack of visitor comment on any of these villas.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi

Very few places with short walking distance to the beaches in the south, as Steve say, the sea can be rough sometimes in January. I would like to add something about the beaches for you.

Pidgeon Point;
Own by the Government, you have to pay a small fee per person, 1-2 life guards on the beach, very safe for small children as the water is shallow and protected by a reef, but there are many small coral peaces in the water. The water is warm as it´s shallow and therefore not clear. One side of the beach has little breeze, the other (against Bucco) has more.
But the beaches are more and less natural, by that I mean that you will find coral peaces and sea grass nearby the water, the windy side has more sea grass. Don´t expect a totally cleaned beach as you find in Europe. Restaurant and some local shops but less compared with Store Bay Beach, toilets and showers of course.
And of course, even if the water is shallow, one must never leave the children alone on the beach.

Store Bay Beach;
Public area, no fee, 5-6 life guards on the beach, this beach has better sand compared with Pitgeon Point, no stones and sea graas. This beach isn´t protected by a reef so the water is very clear and not so warm as Pidgeon Point. The water get deeper quickly but it´s still safe for children as they never shall be alone, the life guards use be strict about that. Children love to dig and build in the sand. Beach bars, some shops, many places with local food, public toilets and showers 1TTD per person.
There can sometimes be lot of peoples on the beach, but never as crowed as a touruíst beach in Spain, never. But I still prefer Store Bay compared with Pidgeon Point.

Canoe Bay Beach;
Private area, you pay a small fee per person, on the Atlanric side but very quiet and very safe for children, very shallow water. Mostly you have to walk 75-100m out if you want deper water. But the road down to the beach is very bad as there are a lot of on-going constructions on the way down. Very little sand nearby the water for children to dig/build.

Kylgwin Bay;
I must say I´ve never been there, if we are talking about the beach on the Atlantic side, if so; I believe it´s more a local beach, no public areas as far I know (stores, bars toilets and so on). Has any other comments about this beach?

Using a car you should also see Black Rock Beach and Arnos Vale Beach on the Caribbean side (for snorkeling). On the Atlantic side you have Bacolet Beach nearby Scarborough, there´s a beach bar own by the hotel. The sand is hard and very dark, no sun shairs for hire (only for the guests from the hotel). The beach is not protected by reef or life guards, safe as long one never go outside the edges of the cliffs, children are safe nearby the sand on the beach.

If you don´t find pictures enough for these beaches on this website, I can send some of my own directly to you if you give me your e-mail address.
Ronald
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I would suggest getting a villa with a pool to keep little ones occupied (under supervision) ... only a suggestion ... the seas can be a little rough in many places at this time of year.

I agree that sharp coral pieces can make it uncomfortable in some areas around Pigeon Point ... Store Bay is more fun although a bit busier.

Also watch the sun on the beaches ... it is very severe, especially on the white coral sands. And ... the sandflies are not a problem until you get as far as Castara (where rainforest meets the sea) but they may not be a problem ... some people (like me) get grief off them and others don't ... so you will never know until you try.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Dimitri, some comments off the top of my head regarding your post:

"We would like to have an ok beach at walking distance to have a dip in the morning but we will have a car and don't mind to drive 10-15' to get to a fantastic beach. As we have two small children, we thought the beaches we should go to are Pidgeon Point, Canoe bay and Kylgwin bay. Store Bay seems very unattractive. We would like to have some nice restaurants within a 15' range."

The beach that borders Plantations is Little Rockly Bay - great for walking/jogging, but not great for swimming. For swimming with young kids the two best beaches would be Pigeon Point or Canoe Bay. Note that Pigeon Point does not open until 9am. As mentioned before, the road into Canoe Bay is not very good. Store Bay is very variable especially at this time of year - sometimes, it can be as calm as glass, other times, the waves can tumble even adults. When its good, it's VERY VERY good. But you will have to keep an eye on the kids, as the water does not remain as shallow offshore as Pigeon Point or Canoe Bay. So don't discount Store Bay - it's always worth passing by Store Bay to take a look at the water conditions. You can always go elsewhere (Pigeon Pint is only a few minutes' drive away from Store Bay) if the water's a bit rough.

Don't get hung up on the 10-15' driving range for beaches and restaurants . If you stay at a Plantations villa Pigeon Point and Store Bay are 10-15', Canoe Bay is even closer. Very good restaurants will be not more than 15' away.

"Are there some areas which have less mosquitos than others? The Black Rock area with the lush vegetation seems more mosquito prone than the plantation area."

Mosquitoes are hit or miss. Best bet is to be prepared. I recommend bringing along the "Off" brand of mosquito repellent, and make sure that you cover exposed areas when going out in the evenings especially at dusk.

"We thought Villa Palexaura or Oceana would be a good idea. We are a bit worried about the works at the VLH hotel. Any idea about the impact of those? Any idea if the closure of the hotel means less security for the area? Do you think the wind will be too strong this time of year to be able to enjoy the swimming pool and garden? Should we swap to another area?"

Any work underway at the hotel will be too far away from Palexaura or Oceana for you to even notice. Because of the security at the entry points to the complex, as well as the size of the complex itself I don't expect the hotel closure to affect the security at the villa complex. So I wouldn't be concerned about security.

If you wanted additional assurance, the Sugar Mills condo complex at Plantations is patrolled by security guards after hours. Plus they have an additional access control point for residents/visitors on top of the normal Plantations access control point. But the condos are not private villas, and the pools are shared by multiple clusters. On the other hand, it would be cheaper than your 400US limit.

The easterly wind that comes ashore at the Plantations villas is a constant throughout the year. Many people find it invigorating and refreshing (especially on a hot sunny day). It should not keep you from enjoying the pool and garden. It can get gusty at times, but this is relatively rare.

Hope this helps,
Clyde
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Hi,

Well thank you very much everybody for taking the time to answer us. Let's see what is still available as most of the properties are fully booked.
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Dimitri,
Have you contacted the real estate agents in Tobago? They often have properties that are not listed on their web sites. The two best known agents are Caribbean Estates (Natalie Mahabir), or Island Investments (Pat Phillips). You will need to ask for a villa that is in a gated complex if you want a high degree of security - to the best of my knowledge, they might be limited to villas in Stonehaven, Sanctuary Villas, Plantations, or Samaan Grove.
Hope this helps,
Clyde
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Dimitri,
In today's Newsday newpaper (http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,92606.html) it was reported that a Stonehaven villa occupied by Queen Latifah, a well-known American entertainer, was buglarised. Police suspect that it was an "inside job" since there was no sign of forced entry, and additional security measures were supposedly in place because of the special guest. So I guess even a gated complex like Stonehaven is not immune to security concerns. Incidentally, the rate for the Stonehaven villa was quoted in the news report at USD 1,000 per night so that's outside of your budget anyway.
Clyde
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Clyde & Dimitri

Sanctuary Villas has a guarded gate, but you need a car to be there as the road is VERY sharp. I visited the area some years ago, the villas are situated on each side of a valley.

As Clyde say, the house were buglarised, according to the Trinidad Express a door was left open in one of the villas, she and her entourage had two villas. As the rates are high into these villas, they are sometimes targeted by criminals as you need a big wallet to stay there!

Even Canoe Bay were visited, a German did awake by a man with a knife in the night, he was robbed. He lost his wallet, money, credit cards and even his passport!

Christmas is the start of the high season, not only for visitors! And first time visitors often get a feeling "Oh Tobago, Tobagonians are so nice, I feel so safe". And real Tobagonians are nice but the problem is the there are criminals using that feeling, and bad things van than happen.

From my viewpoint, if the rates for villas into protected areas seems too high, it´s MUCH safer to stay in a hotel, there are many to choose between. Some hotels also have bungalows. In the Crown Point area beaches are 5-10 minutes away with a car. Staying anywhere at any hotel from Plantation and south, you reach a beach in 20 minutes, even if you drive across the island.

I wish you a pleasent vacation, myself have to wait until June, at least.
Ronald
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Yup Queen Latifah's villa was burgled,but accounts vary on what was stolen etc.Enough to say that talking to a police sgt (at a lime at 1am today)he said they were sure who if anybody(his words)was responsible.
David(slightly fuzzy from an excess of Old Year's Night bachanal! %*} )
Happy new year every body

Return to “General Accommodation”