Effect of the decline of the Pound

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Ben W

Effect of the decline of the Pound

Post by Ben W »

Along with the increase in airfare of late, who else has been hit by the increase in the strength of the dollar, or rather the decrease of Stirling.

I worked out earlier that since we initially booked our accommodation in November (for a trip in March), this has so far gone up 81 GBP! I'm glad we didn't choose the more expensive accommodation options we were considering, instead choosing the Crown Point Beach hotel at $130.

We are still thinking about cancelling however as we expect everything else to have gone up an equivalent amount. The GBP has dropped a 1/9ish on the TTD in the last 2 weeks alone (mainly in the last few days like the recent dollar slump)

Has anyone else thought about cancelling because of this? Or does anyone know of any hotels who charge by the GBP (sorry no pound signs I have a US keyboard!) who haven't raised their rates?!?!?
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Effect of the decline of the Pound

Post by Paul Williams »

Hello Ben
We are going next week and when we first booked our accomodation it was almost $2 to the £ but now at less than $1.38 it will be costing the four of us almost £740 more than originally planned and when you take into account we had our original flights with XL cancelled (£338 each) and had to change to Virgin at £470 we will probably not be going again for a while, the problem is I love Castara too much but even the best things have to come to an end.
Regards
Paul
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Effect of the decline of the Pound

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

The best suggestion I can make for anyone who is concerned about future depreciation of the Pound to the USD and the resulting impact on TTD, is to consider buying USD with your Pounds as soon as you plan your trip. The USD is more or less fixed against the TTD in Trinidad & Tobago, so even if the Pound continued to fall against the US, your currency value in USD and its TTD equivalent would still hold.
Hope this helps,
Clyde

Return to “General Accommodation”