Seclusion for tired mom and dad - on a budget

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
D.Achongs
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Seclusion for tired mom and dad - on a budget

Post by D.Achongs »

Please help! We are exhausted parents of 5. We had no honeymoon and are desperately in need of a break, however our kids are elementary to high school aged and we only have weekends. With our family size we are also on a shoe string budget. We want somewhere private and secluded with a pool so that we can have some "couples time" without worry of disturbing the neighbors or being seen if we're being "amorous" by the pool ;). We don't want to have to be conservative for other guest or have to leave the house to spend time in the water. Where can we get this for US$200 to US$350 a night without having to book for 3-5 days minimum!??? Please help! [-o<
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Seclusion for tired mom and dad - on a budget

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi and welcome aboard! :D

Whilst I sympathise with your requirements, the problem here is not the price as much as the short rental. Most villa owners will only consider bookings of 3 days or more simply because of the housekeeping costs of cleaning and turning-round the house after 1-2 days stays. Worse still, other than at very short notice, most villa owners will not consider such bookings because it blocks the possibility of longer bookings. Imagine how they would feel if they agreed to let you have the place for a 2-day weekend and then were offered a 14-night booking?

So, I'm afraid it is simply a matter of wading through our lists looking for properties in the right price bracket and with the right features, then contacting them hoping that they might consider your request.

Good luck!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
D.Achongs
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by D.Achongs »

Ok, you gave us 1 ray of hope with the possibility of short notice booking. We are willing to go up on the price a bit but the ones that don't have a minimum booking are either not private or don't have enough pictures or description to let us know if they're what we need.

Can you give me a few examples of places that meet our privacy (especially for the pool and grounds) standard? I am almost sure we would be booking at short notice (as my husband works off-shore) and maybe we can talk the owner into a 2 night stay for a slightly higher price? [-o<
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Sorry, but we're only a general tourist information service, not a booking agency. The only information we have for properties is that shown in the accommodation listings. You would neet to contact the properties (via the Email tab of each listing) to ask them for information like that.
Steve Wooler
D.Achongs
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by D.Achongs »

Thank you, I will do. When I do find somewhere I will be sure to let you know for future reference. Wish me luck!
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by GillMathews »

Hi D,( sorry that sounds a bit impersonal but I don't know what the D stands for)
Have a look at Hawksbill House, It is one of several villas at Stonehaven but as you can see in the review,it enjoys a lot of privacy being the last at the end of the access way.I think it suits all the things you are looking for and I know that it is highly recommended. I believe that you may be able to negotiate with the owner.A two night booking is better than no booking!! Click Accomodation,Villas and it will come up as the 2nd listing. Good luck.
Gill :D
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Rachel Crew »

You could also contact Christine Charbonne at Villas of Tobago (www.villasoftobago.com) or other real estate agents that deal with villa rentals - they can often give you more details about the properties and negotiate something within your budget. If you are looking for something soonish (ie between now and Dec) then you may be able to get a shorter booking because it's a quiet time here and villa owners may be more flexible with bookings.

Good luck!
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
D.Achongs
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by D.Achongs »

Thanks for the advise Rachel and Gill (the "D" represents "the" in trini slang). I will check out the other real estate agents and I actually love to look of Hawksbill house, it was actually the second house we looked at, the first being Kapinjala.

Mr. Abraham of Abraham's realty recommended Cravenji and Eternity Villa. Have any of you seen these?
D.Achongs
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by D.Achongs »

Does anyone know of a Villa de Lena?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

You will find all these villas listed in our accommodation section. Click on the 'Reports' tab at the top of the page of each property to see any visitor comments posted for that villa.
Steve Wooler
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by GillMathews »

Yes Kapinjala looks amazing doesn't it! The infinity pool is fabulous.It was my first chioce to mention to you but decided maybe not on a tight budget :( .
I had'nt heard about Cravenji or Eternity. Cravenji sounds like good value for money but the info is a bit limited and Eternity,though more expensive mentions privacy a lot and does not give any minimum stay.Shame there are not more pictures.This is where readers benefit so much from the reviews written by Steve which enhance the basic info so greatly.
Happy hunting!
Gill :)

Return to “General Accommodation”