Sterling travellers cheques

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
John Lewis
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Sterling travellers cheques

Post by John Lewis »

Hi can anyone let me know if it is worth taking travellers cheques,are they easy to change,or is it easier to use plastic. We are staying at the Sandy Point Beach Club,from the 5 November for 2 weeks. Has anyone got an update on this resort.WE can book excursions/car from the resort again is it better to go direct to the tour operator. :!:

Cheers John
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Sterling travellers cheques

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi John

Welcome aboard! :)

Always a difficult question because it largely depends upon the charging terms and conditions of your card and your bank.

Without any question of doubt, it is 'easier' to use plastic in this day and age. Nobody ever questions cards - but not everybody will take travellers cheques and cashing them - without suffering a substantial loss in exchange rate - invariably means losing valuable holiday time queuing at a bank and going through a bunch of hassle.

However, a huge amount depends upon your card balance and how much they charge for foreign cash withdrawals. I opened an account with the Halifax because they still (I believe?) offer the best deal option when using abroad. However, whatever card you use, it is vital to ensure that you have zero balance and clear it by the due payment date - and it is also vital to notify the card company of the dates you will be in Tobago, to avoid any possibility of the card being stopped because their systems suspect it may have been used fraudulently.

Remember, the hotel will invariably be taking a cut, so you can generally negotiate a better deal by going direct. However, it depends who the tour operator/car rental firm is. The reputable services will give you good service regardless of who you book through. However, sometimes having the influence of the hotel/resort behind you can be a big help when dealing with smaller operators.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

John,

there is also the option to use your debit card (CIRRUS, MAESTRO, VISAelectron etc.) at ATM
machines in Trinidad and Tobago for your cash withdrawals. The fees (charged by your bank) are usually
much less as compared to cash withdrawals with a credit card (MASTER, VISA).
There are very small charges by our banks here, if any at all.

Some businesses in T&T can charge foreign debit cards like our local cards. Unfortunately, many business people
are not aware of it, that their card reader accepts foreign debit cards.
But it is worth trying, and you will be able to negotiate some discount, because there are no transaction charges
for the business. It is like a cash payment.

On a last note: I travel within the Caribbean everywhere with "plastic" and some US$ cash.

Have a good trip !
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

The Card Steve refers to is the Halifax Clarity Card.

It charges nothing for transactions (even cash withdrawals). But you will need a squeaky clean credit record and, as Steve says, you will get punished if you don't pay the balances off by the due dates.

I have got my Carer to use of these Cards for me when I go next year :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
John Lewis
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by John Lewis »

Hi.Thanks to Steve, Paul and Andy for your prompt reply.As usuall you are on the ball. Paul any idea what the weather will be like at the beging of November? or is that a bit too far for your chyrstal ball :lol: Hopefully it will be somewhat warmer than here in the Isle of Man when 18c is considered to be hot sunny day. :mrgreen:

Cheers John
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi John

The weather in November will be alot worse than in February 2012 when myself and my Carer arrive for my holiday :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
John Lewis
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by John Lewis »

Hi Paul thanks for the info does your carer alow you out of her site for a few beers. :mrgreen:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

if you decide to still bring some travellers cheques I would make sure they are in US$ and they are american express. some banks dont take visa travellers cheques (opposed to the cards where they dont take american express but instead visa and master). have a machine ourselves so we know and had to open an account in a next bank to our house bank when we took some visa travellers cheques and would not get them changed...
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
John Lewis
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by John Lewis »

Thanks Brian for the info. we will not be bringing travellers cheques as it seems too much messing around/expensive so will use TT dollars and good old plastic (debit card)
Regards John :D
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi John

My Carer always enjoys a beer or 2 but the roles could be reversed if she has too much of the hard stuff :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “General Accommodation”