Mosquito net

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Mara
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Mosquito net

Post by Mara »

Hello, we plan to spend two weeks in May on Tobago. This will be our first visit there. Do we need a mosquito net? We still didn't book any accomodation. Could be any problem with mosquitos in Crown Point or should we look in another place?
Thanks a lot for help
Mara
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Mosquito net

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Mara

Welcome aboard! :D

You won't need to bring a mosquito net with you. Most accommodations provide nets over the beds if/where mosquitoes are a problem. Nowadays, with so many places being air-conditioned, they really aren't necessary.

If you are particularly susceptible to bites, then I suggest buying one of the small electric/electronic mosquito deterrent machines. They can be relatively hard to find online, but you will be able to buy them in the supermarkets and even lots of local stores and minimarts once you get to Tobago. They are very cheap. They burn a small pad that releases a chemical deterrent. Close up your room and switch the machine on a couple of hours before going to bed. They’re normally very effective.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Mosquito net

Post by Ronald »

Hi Mara

Steve is correct in what he says, but as I know that some peoples are more affected than others (I have a friend who always get A LOT), you might deside to buy one such unit, when you are here. It also depends on the accomondation itself, if you have full AC or not.

As this dry season is wetter than normally, there´s more mosquitos than during a normally dry season, but the Crown Point area is not hard hit. However, some areas are more affected than others, because of the surrounding nature.

If you are one of these peoples, who are more affected by moqsuitos than others, that only you know of course.

If you want to buy one of these small electric/electronic mosquito deterrent machines, you can go to Penny Savers Supermarket in Canaan if you don´t find them nearby the place where you stay.
There are two different makes, but it doesn´t matter which one you buy. Its also so, that the tablets can be of one make and the unit itself of an other make, it doesn´t matter at all.

They say one tablet last about 6-8 hours, but if you use this unit, I suggest you put in one tablet late afternoon an plug it in. When you go to bed, you exchange the tablet with a new one, and you can sleep good. These units also keep mostly smaller flys away, they doesn´t bite, but they are irritating.

I hope you will have a nice stay Mara

Return to “General Accommodation”