Guest Report

Friendly small apartment house in Charlotteville (listing)
Ben Mann

Guest Report

Post by Ben Mann »

My girlfriend and I stayed at the TRP in mid-September '07 for five nights. The property is is located up in the residential 'music' neighborhood which is on the Pirates Bay end on town about a quarter the way up the hill. It's called the music neighborhood because its populated by many fisherman who blast reggae from 6am-6:30am and 5-7pmish. We loved this but some may not. Being in this area really connects one with the rhythm and pulse of C'ville which made the whole trip for us. Once you get to know a few locals you will be pretty much living in their 'hood, which we loved.
We stayed upstairs and loved the room. The property also has a common area with hammocks which we utilized frequently.(Watch for bat sxxx. Again, we loved this but some may not)
Rainer was not there during our visit and the cafe staff were among the most rude and unpleasant people we encountered in all of Tobago. Lisa, the manager, was helpful with anything we needed.
I will be staying here again and would recommend it to younger(50 and under) travelers or couples who travel to Tobago for the cultural experiance of Tobago and not for fancy all inclusive holiday Tobago. I'd say the same for C'ville in general. It's a very quite place but there is still much more going on here then Castara and I found it much easier to get to know the locals here then in any other place in T&T. We could regularly be found liming with the fisherman on the main street drinking Puncheon + Carib which got us in with everybody. I felt almost unwelcome in many other towns including Castara.
The TPR is by no means 5 star but has comfortable beds, bug nets, kitchenettes, and great balconies but the cafe and the cafe staff really bring down the general rating.

Return to “Top River Pearl”