Current Weather in Tobago

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Current Weather in Tobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well, we’ve made it. We’re here at last, so instead of living Tobago through words and pictures, we’re now immersed in the real thing.

Sad to say, all the reports about bad weather are true. This, our third day, is mainly overcast, with showers every few minutes. The sun popped out for 20 minutes half an hour ago and we were hopefully of the skies clearing, but it appears it’s not going to be, although it is still surprisingly bright – and warm, of course. We did have about five hours of sunshine yesterday, between heavy showers, but the previous day – our first full day – was a total ‘grey-out’ with constant heavy rain. Andy boy, when it does rain here, it REALLY rains.

But, it is at least warm rain. Even though the sky is 90% overcast you can feel the effects and my lily-white body has already caught some sun.

Nevertheless, Tobago is still magical. We’re at Castara Retreats, in Castara (obviously). Yet another property that has demonstrated the advantages of choosing properties on higher ground with great views that catch the cooling breezes, rather than the often more popular beachside locations. Just to make those of you back in colder northern climes jealous, the picture below was taken a minute ago and illustrates my current ‘working’ environment. How wonderful to sit here looking down onto the bay and beach. The high vantage point allows us to watch sting rays feeding on the sea bottom, just 4-5 metres from the beach. As I said, it is just magical.

Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Ooooh ... the thought of seeing those dark shadows swooping around in Castara Bay.

You should go down there and swim with them Steve.

Sorry about the weather ... not felt any of the pin-pricks yet!!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Steve,

It sound's like the sea has cleared a little over the last two days - it was very cloudy on Wednesday, and I expected some run-off to still leave it cloudy now, but even from your picture it seems much calmer. Stay hi to the Sting's for us - we missed them this year - we are home now. :(

We too felt that rain walking up the track to Pirate's Bay, which was on my must-do list this year. Half way up, we had to turn back, absolutely drenched following a 'non-stop' downpour. We drove back the length of the island soaked, but had a good laugh and shot a few pics of the results! It IS going to get better now that you are there!

Any news about the landslides reported on Friday in Castara? I'm guessing (hoping) that they were quite small rock falls?

Steve Fifield. (Where is the emoticon with an umbrella over its head?). :wink:
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Ooooooo.... you're in Castara! How lovely. I was hoping you'd go there.
Have you walked to the waterfall, seen the bread oven, bought fish yet? There's also a fantastic viewing place just back up the road to the south. It's a public park place and not to be missed, all up hill though and quite a way so I'd advise driving. 8)
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

The view Julia is talking about is at Paradise Point on the road above the Villa.
David
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Thanks Dave. :D
It's well named. 8)
Apparently Jenny Agutter owns one of the Villas you can see from Castara if you look towards Paradise Point!
Diana Clarke

the rain

Post by Diana Clarke »

We got back yesterday after two weeks in tobago.We were in Charoltville staying at cholston chalets. It rained a great deal for the first week and then we had some better weather the second week. Charlotville has suffered a great deal from land slips due to heavy rain back in Nov. It has affected to sea so that the snorkling and diving are not as good as previous years. However we love the place so much that this did not prevent us from having a brilliant time.

Return to “Weather”