Theft

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Terence H

Theft

Post by Terence H »

Saw this on another forum.

subject: hotel rex turtle tobago
name: renate ernst
date: Mon May 16 01:54:25 2005
followups:

My duth brother married in may 2005 in the rex turtel beach hotel at Tobago. We were there with 6 couples. From this six couples there where 2 who had been stolen from. One couple from the hotelroom, the other (me and my mother) from the safety box! The hotelmanager and the employees where not friendly. They did not help us in any way. The police is not efficient. Even today they did not make a police report. The island is very beautiful. But the hotel is not good. We want to warn tourist for the thieves. We know from the security that there are more troubles. In the surroundings of the hotel, you cannot do much. There are no shops etc.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Terence

As a matter of interest, which forum did you see this on. I can't track it on any of the major boards or review sites, so I'm quite interested.

What can you say? I could have believed a single incident of stealing from the room, but multiple occurences including stealing from safety deposit boxes? Sounds to me like there's a little more to this story than meets the eye.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Mon May 23, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

The message is from Caribbean-On-Line/Trinidad&Tobago, by Renate, date May 16.

"We were there with 6 couples. From this six couples there where 2 who had been stolen from. One couple from the hotelroom, the other (me and my mother) from the safety box!" What did they take from the room, and how? She doesn´t explain that, and from the safety box? The police use to be very alert when it come to such a thing at a big hotel.

"The hotelmanager and the employees where not friendly and helpful. They did not help us in any way. The police is not efficient. Even today they did not make a police report." Renate doesn´t say why they feel that they where not friendly. Often such a thing depend on one self too. Why didn´t she made a police report on her own?

"We know from the security that there are more troubles." What troubles? She doesn´t say, would be interested to know what she mean.

I´ve seen, too often, visitors behavie REALLY stupied, like carry a wallet with a lot of money, sometimes both TTD, USD, GBD AND credit cards all over the island AND on the beach too! Some simply seems to leave their common sence at home (if they have any of course).
Once an english fellow (sorry all) did share the same house as I did. He had "local company", the girl itself was quite OK but they always have friends which aren´t always OK. One day, on a trip around the island, "somebody" did take his wallet, with money, UK ID-card, driving license, bank card, credit card, he lost everything!

Leaving personal items like camera, money or something like that inside the room or in the car, that´s an invitation. Even if Tobagonians are very friendly, one have to use common sence too. Some are using the visitors feeling "oh, what a lovely island, what a lovely peoples". Small money for a visitor might be a weeks salery for someone in Tobago and we also have thoose who are on drugs too.
Chris Cross
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Chris Cross »

...just mailed to the Hotel... because we gonna stay there from next monday.

let´s see...
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Sounds like a naughty person has been 'stung' after going to the wrong places and seeking the wrong people, Chris.

I wouldn't worry if you are genuinely there for a nice holiday ... sad, but same the world over ... it even happens in 5 star hotels ...

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Penelope Fishuncle

Post by Penelope Fishuncle »

This may seem like a stupid question, but if you shouldn't leave your camera in the room, or in the car, where do you leave it when you're snorkelling?

=Pen=
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

We have been to a number of places where you have to watch out for your things. We loved a particular beach in Costa Rica that was fringed by palm trees. We were told that young children would sometimes hide behind the trees and snatch whatever you left when you went swimming. We decided to buy a waterproof money pouch and not to worry whether our beach towels were taken.(No matter where we go, we bring our own towels to cut down on the hassle factor.) If they steal my bargain-basement towels, that's OK. The money, etc., is needed to get back to the hotel.
I wonder whether the original poster was referring to in-room safex? rather than to the hotel safes located at reception?
Only take a camera when you want to use it.
Chris Cross
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Chris Cross »

I ´ve been told that there are no safes in the rooms, just in the reception area of the Rex... But I think, that things you put in the saves, have to be insured by the hotel...

@ Paul: I stayed at places before, where most of travellers would´t.
But after 5 years, I decided to spend relaxed holidays without thinking about anything... we stayed in the Hills of Westmoreland Jamaica, even there it hasn´t been ness. to lock the doors... OK, beach is another thing, but if a hotel can not secure that things, left in the room, are save, then it´s very sad...

Places without bugs ar rare! You only have to take care ;-)
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Steve Wooler wrote:Hi Terence

As a matter of interest, which forum did you see this on. I can't track it on any of the major boards or review sites, so I'm quite interested.

What can you say? I could have believed a single incident of stealing from the room, but multiple occurences including stealing from safety deposit boxes? Sounds to me like there's a little more to this story than meets the eye.

Hi Steve,

Ronald had the right site but link does not work for me.
So try this ......

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cgi-bi ... esHTML+322
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Sorry, but my replay was not ment as a direct link to the message, just the name of the website and which forum. All messages on an Islands forum are at same page, if they aren´t too old of course. That forum is´t visited so often, not as myTobago.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I have been looking into this case, but for various reasons I must be a little reserved in my response.

What I can tell you is that the security boxes at the Rex Turtle Beach can only be opened when two keys are inserted at the same time. The guest has one key, the front office staff the second. There is no spare or second copy of the 'guest' key, so it is impossible for the security boxes to be opened without first having obtained the key from the guest and then, secondly, convincing the front office staff that you are the rightful user of the safety deposit box. When arranging the box, it is made clear to guests that there is a US$50 charge if they lose the key (so that the hotel can order a new key from the manufacturer) and that because of the nature of the two-key system, the hotel hold no responsibility for the contents of the box.

The reaction of the hotel and the police, who were notified by the hotel, is therefore understandable.

The allegation about theft from a room comes as a complete surprise to everyong involved.

I leave readers to make their own minds up about this case.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Thanks Steve, for the investigation and feedback.
Arvi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

still thefts

Post by Arvi »

hello. It's been a year since the last posting. I've just returned from the REX. There are still thefts going on. From my information, from the bottom floor rooms. Very often the guests leave their balcony door unlockt because the want to go from the beach directlin into the room. This is of course an invitation. We have had discussions with the management - we know them because we have been staying at the Rex since before it was the REX. We even know the hotel from the time before the new part was built on. It is a shame, but how can this be avoided? I know personally of one theft of bathing suits left at night to dry. Friends who we met were relieved of a bathing suit and cash out of their room (bottom floor) during lunch. They even said themselves it was their own fault because the were to lazy to lock and go around to the back.
Thefts from the safe at the reception - sorry! no go. I would say IMPOSSIBLE. Only when the lost or gave the key away AND the thief knew the room number AND the safe number AND could do the signatur of the guest.........OK?
How to keep a camera from being stolen when one is on the beach or so? Keep the room locked. Back and Front.
This is a global problem, Friends. Not just a problem from Turtle Beach at the REX.

Have a happy!

Arvi
Chris Cross
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Chris Cross »

Ye Ye!

I coundn´t believe it, but this was us!

Me did some investigation and informed the TIA and guess what I found out: Keep your Eyes on the Members of the DSS Security Team!

Some of the Staff told us, that missing things often got taken away by the Security! I informed the manager and set out a reward on the cloth which were stolen when name of the thief will be found out!

I also informed the Manager that it is useless when 5 DSS Members hang out together at the pool-area at night for 4 hours talking and listening to the music and half of the hotel is not watched by them! Even a Dumb could have taken things away out of the guests rooms at night! The Site entrance was not locked for our complete stay! Mentioned by the way - some of them were very unfriendly to guests of the hotel and other People passing the Hotel.

So if you stay on the GroundFloor in the Rex, always lock your Doors and asure that notten is on the Balcony when you go for dinner!

But, again, the Safes are secure, like Arvi said!

News still to come! I´ll send an report when all comes out!

DSS - Watch them as they watch you !!!

By the way... we will go back to the Rex! Not because of unfriendly Staff Members (esp. those working in the Restaurant and Bar at Lunchtime - they know who´s meant) or unfriendly Security Members or the fact that the houskeepers never wiped out the dust under our bed - but rather in because of the location, the friendly and helpful Staff (esp. Scoutie, Curtis, Esther, Natalie, Lincoln, Sonyini etc.)

...and of course all the nice Guests from England, Spain, Sweden, Germany - Greetings and Blessings !!!

This was our best vacation ever in 'bago!!!!
Arvi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Arvi »

Hey, Big Boy
Send me a message! No email for you im profile! War geil, wah?

lg

arvi und volker und robby und manu
Richard B
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Richard B »

Our last trip was Jan 2004 (3rd visit) and we had no issues. We kept valuables in safety boxes in reception. As mentioned 2 key system and you have to sign each time you want to access. Reception staff quickly get to know you as an additional factor.

Last trip we had a ground floor room in the "New" block and often left patio door open when we went into sea, our 10 month baby asleep in room or in travel cot on patio.

I'd love to get back but now with an additional child and less cash in pocket it's not likely just yet.
Sue Kirby

Money taken

Post by Sue Kirby »

We stayed at the Rex 11 - 25 May 2006 and 13-27 May 2005 and have never had a problem but we stay on the second floor, one couple did tell us that money had been taken from out of their room on the ground floor between 7.15 and 7.30am when they went to get a cup of tea. Not all the money was taken just 100 tt I had to admit I would not have noticed or just through my husband had taken it which could be what the thieft hopes
Arvi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Arvi »

:D Hi Sue!
We were there at the same time! I'm the black lady from Germany. I'm sure we had contact.
I agree with your statements. Read my report. They do have to do something about the wages and personal. I also took a coconut to the reception. They just looked at me. The young man at the reception must go back to school though!

love

Arvi

Return to “Starfish Tobago”