The Blue Mango in Castara

5 cottage/apartments at Castara (listing)
Christine D

The Blue Mango in Castara

Post by Christine D »

Hi All!!

I'm just putting the finishing touches on a Tobago vacation in May. I haven't seen any posts regarding the Blue Mango and specifically the "Cliffhanger" cottage so I thought I would inquire. We are almost certain this is where we will stay. Looks like a nice rustic cottage on the edge of the rainforest with a beach just a short stroll away...and the town itself comes highly recommended. Does anyone have any experience with this place? I've read many reviews, almost all good, and they have been very nice and helpful via email so far. Any insights or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers, Christine
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Hi Christine
If you click the "Search" button, up there /\, the one with the magnifying glass, and type in "Cliff Hanger" or "Blue Mango" you'll find quite a few posts.
Here are links to 2:
http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopi ... iff+hanger
http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopi ... iff+hanger
We returned, since those reviews were written, in April 2005 and stayed at Sweet Point, but we did notice that Colin had added a sundeck to Cliff Hanger and it's situated down some steps below the veranda that you can see in the picture posted by Tony Taylor. Of course Colin may have made some more changes since - I don't know.
Christine D

thanks...

Post by Christine D »

Good advice, thanks...I had done a search but strangely enough didn't come up with the 2 posts you have directed me to...they are very helpful and make me think I have made the right decision...now the waiting begins!!
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Glad to help. It's not long until May - say "Hi" to Colin from Simon and Julia.
I hope you enjoy Tobago as much as we did. :D
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Christine,

sorry I haven't been to the Blue Mango but to Castara and I hope you dont expect a "city" because it is a beautiful little fishermens village.
In between couple of new guesthouses came up but it's still far away from something we would call city.

Enjoy your stay and maybe we will meet in in May because I plan to go there again around this time.

:lol:

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Christine D

7 weeks and counting

Post by Christine D »

Yes, looks like about 7 weeks before we hit the tropics. I am looking forward to this treasure of an island, off the beaten path and not ruined by a bundle of tourists...definately aware that it's no city which is exactly why we've decided to give it a try!! Hiking, exploring, kayaking, snorkling and maybe having a beer with the locals is how I want to spend my time.

I'll be sure to extend your hello to Colin, Julia. Gisela, I'll be there with a girl friend (we've known each other since the 7th grade so it will be nice to spend some "girl time" with her) from May 14-21...keep your eyes out for me, I'm a shorty too!!

Cheers!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Christine,If you meet up with Shorty you are bound to have a drink with the locals-------the lady apparenly spends most of her time at Coddries!!!!!
:wink: I can't be alone with a reputation,Gisella!! :D
Cheers David
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Dear all (and especially David),

I feel a little bit ashamed :oops: because it seems I'm very well kown around... but David, this sounds like I spend day and night at the bar and this is not right. I'm not an alcoholic but I love Carib and I never started drinking Carib before noon (11 am is already noon, isn't it???) :?

Christine, your will love Tobago and especially Castara because it does have everything you are expecting.

See you for a Carib! :oops: Sh.... there it was again, I can't help... I love Carib.

And David, next year I will try to meet you in Castara, maybe we can make a lack of Carib in Castara that time :-)

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Michael S

Blue Mango is the place to stay

Post by Michael S »

Good morning Christine!
I hope you are still planning to stay at the Blue Mango/Cliff Hanger. We just returned from a trip to Tobago, staying at the Cliff Hanger for 4 days.

I'm sure you are well aware the accomodations are a bit rustic for some but they were great for us. It has a "summer camp" feel that allows you to get in touch with real Tobago-especially the wonderful people. Despite the look a passerby may give you, a nice "Good morning" takes you a long way.

Be sure to stock up on some supplies after leaving the airport-most likely at the Penny Savers. It would have been beneficial if we had changed a portion of our money to TT dollars in advance-trying to do the exchange rate math can be a bit frustrating at times.

Just staying in Castara would have been enough for us but we decided to take the trip to Little Tobago (with snorkeling) and then an island tour the next day with King David-just down the street from Blue Mango. Both trips were well worth any cost and everyone (throughout the whole trip) was honest in most things involving money-a change from here in the US!

Here are a few photos!

http://www.socasys.com/gallery2

More will be posted later. Let me know if I can help in ANY way!
P.S. Carib is the best!
Christine D

WOW!! Castara here I come!

Post by Christine D »

Wow Michael, thanks so much for posting the photos...it looks unbelievable! It's only 5 days now before I head to paradise.

I have to admit I was a little nervous about the rustic nature of the cottage but it's exactly what we wanted, as opposed to a resort or typical hotel...I know it will be worth it and I really can't wait. How were the bugs/geckos in the cottage? Any bats?

Thanks again for your tips!
Michael S

No Bats

Post by Michael S »

We didn't see or hear anything that resembled a bat but there are plenty of lizards-both small and large. A stroll down the local road certainly offers plenty of opportunities to see a variety of wildlife. We often saw parrots hanging out and flying over our heads as we walked. Again, if you love nature, try to get to Little Tobago. Our guide (required) was Farley and he did a great job. The sights and especially the thundering sound of crashing waves on LT's Atlantic side, won't quickly leave your memory!

Return to “Blue Mango Cottages”