visiting in late june for 2 weeks

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Neil C

visiting in late june for 2 weeks

Post by Neil C »

Will we be too late to view Turtles and what type of weather should we expect. I am a new member and have been very impressed by the comments posted. We are going to stay at Rex Turtle Beach despite what some people say. I like going with the majority Any info tips welcomed
Thanks Neil
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Neil

Welcome aboard! :lol:

The turtle breeding season runs up until about August so you may be in luck. It actually started very early this year, with turtles making nest as early as late December. Whether this means the whole season will be early, or more spread out, is hard to tell. Fingers crossed!

You can see typical weather trends in our Weather article (under the 'Tobago' menu above). No doubt Paul Tallet will add some comment on the subject.

The Rex Turtle Beach is what ever you make of it. Read our review of the hotel and take it at face value. If you go there expecting a 5-star luxury resort you will be clearly dissapointed. However, as an example of its grade and type it is an excellent hotel.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Neil C

Visiting in June

Post by Neil C »

Hi Steve
Thanks for your welcome and for your observations. We have slept in some fairly strange places around the world and enjoyed everyone of them. For example we visited Kiribatti in the South Pacific and slept in a hotel which consisted of just 4 platforms on stilts with a cocunut leaf roof no bed nor bathroom and certainly no electric light tv nor airconditioning save that the room had no walls. It was classed as 4 star and was wonderful. As you will see we are not fussy and whilst enjoying the good things in life consider ourselves to be privilaged to be able to enjoy other cultures and their take on what is acceptable in their terms as luxurious. We are looking forward to Turtle Beach.
As we will be away from the main ATM's and have negotiated an AI package with the hotel (we are travelling independantly and not on a package) we do not feel we need to carry much in the way of cash. We shall of course have Cards with us but as far as TT$ purchased before departure are concerned what would you consider to be a ballpark sum for 2 old codgers staying for two weeks who enjoy the occasional bottle of wine etc. Would say STG 100 per person per week sound ok
Thanks once again for your help
Cheers Neil
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Neil

You sound like the types who will accept the Rex Turtle Beach for what it is: a 3*+ hotel with a stunning location. Read our review and treat the staff with respect and friendliness and I would put money on it that you will return.

The nearest ATM to the Rex Turtle Beach is about a mile and a half away. Yes, being All-Inclusive you're not going to need much. Any trips/excursions can be paid for by card (avoid buying tours from anyone who approaches you on the beach, particularly if they want paying in cash). You're mainly going to want cash for tips (and TT$200 - £20 - for your departure tax). The figure you quote should be more than enough.
Steve Wooler
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Hi,

We have just got back from RTB and I'm sure that you will enjoy it Neil. The hotel still has it's stunning location - don't get too disappointed when you see it first of all from the roadside ! The rooms haven't changed - still tired looking, but on the whole, clean and adequate.

The staff are also the same as previous years. some ok but some were positively bad mannered and rude. You can count on one hand the ones with a smile. But you don't go to this hotel for the customer service or food - it is the location that makes it worthwhile.

We saw a turtle laying eggs almost every evening - but better still (only because we had seen turtles laying beore) - we saw the hatchlings - what a fantastic experience that was. Just to see the babies come up through the sand and make their way down the beach was amazing.

We booked a few trips with the tour guides on the beach, as we have done in previous years with no problems whatsoever. We found that people booking with the main tour operators were paying a much bigger price for basically the same thing. We used Frankies mainly, but some of Frankies men from previous years have now 'gone it alone'.

I will write a fuller review of RTB when I have more time.

Jill.
Neil C

Weather June/July

Post by Neil C »

Hi Jill
Thanks for the info willaw ait your full account with bated breath
Neil
Neil C

visiting late June

Post by Neil C »

Hi Jill
Am a little perplexed by your comment RTB is not the place for food. Do you reccomend we book room only because presently we have provisional reservation for All Inclusive. Is it possible that we could book room only and on arrval if the food suits us (we are not averse to trying anything) could we change to AI. Is this possible or do you have to live with what you originally book
Thanks in advance for your help
Neil

Steve - do you have any suggestions/views re bookings
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Neil

Have you read our review of the Rex Turtle Beach? That is the place to start. I suspect not, because everything said here basically endorses what we have said, in a lot more detail, in the review.
Steve Wooler
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Neil,

The food is OK. Just don't expect it to be Cordon Bleu !! If the buffet menu doesn't appeal - you can always opt for the a la carte which has lovely steaks, chicken fillet burgers with fries, salads, pasta dishes, fish dishes. You have an allowance on the a la carte menu and normally only have to pay extra if you are having say three courses instead of two. I'm sure there will be something to suit you. It is also far easier to go All Inclusive here especially when visiting the bar. We only ate out a couple of times this visit.

Jill
Donna Baylis
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

RTB food

Post by Donna Baylis »

Dear Neil

We stayed at RTB from 30/3 -13/4 this year & found the food to be very good for a 3* ,as Steve says his report pretty much sums it up. We like our food & I would say we are fairly fussy with the quality of the food we eat & are very adventurous with trying different things. The Headchef came out into the restaurant & was genuinely interested to know what guests thought of the food & if there was anything they would like to see different in the buffet. For us it was nice to find local dishes in the buffet rather than burger & chips, although of course if this is what you prefer the a la carte menu caters for this as well. We got talking to some guests staying on room only when we were there & they said they wished they had booked AI because they had purchased a meal plan on arrival & felt it worked out more expensive.

I feel I must mention the staff , we found the staff who didn't smile to be in the minority, there was probably only 1 barman who you really had to struggle to get a smile out of & by the end of the holiday he did eventually smile, hope you find the same, I'm sure whatever you choose you will love it.

Donna

Return to “Starfish Tobago”