Guest Report

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Chris Shovelton

Guest Report

Post by Chris Shovelton »

Rex hotel was poor with late servicing of rooms so that often there were no fresh towels even by teatime.

Everything was scruffy, the main complex smelt of frying food and the food itself looked most unappetising.

Car park is like a bomb site,lord help you in the rainy season.

Staff did their best but seemed unable to answer the numerous complaints we saw people making during our weeks stay.

Rooms were like chalets. Best avoided unless you want a 1960s Butlins experience.
Kat Blomfeld
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Kat Blomfeld »

You are naturally entitled to express your own opinion but I was interested to see that you posted a 5-star review of Le Grand Courland, Chris. With respect, nobody who can afford to stay at Le Grand or similar luxury hotels would normally even consider staying at a 3* budget hotel like the Rex. If you arrived there expecting Le Grand, you would naturally be dissapointed. I would suggest that you did not do your homework properly and chose two incompatible hotels. No wonder you wrote such a nasty report.
Lou W

Post by Lou W »

Hi Chris,

To be honest I agree with Kat. You can not compare the Rex to any other hotel. I've stayed in 5* properties world wide and in my opinion (sad as it may be) i'd prefer to stay at the Rex any day of the week.

I think the car park is great, but I did see more cows on it than cars!

And as for the rooms, it is a basic hotel. I wouldn't exactly call them chalets. Both the rooms we have had on our stays were great, the air con worked and we had a great view onto the beach, near the watersports hut and always had people stood on our patio bit talking to us. Even the very first morning we arrived. The both times I have stayed there it was clean, always had our rooms serviced, and the nightly turn down. The staff are so friendly and will go out of their way to help if they are spoken to like people.

The one thing i will agree on is the food can be a bit unappetising but the chef is more than happy to make me something cause i couldn't see anything i wanted. I would highly recommend the T&T toasies and the french onion soup!! (the toasties are addictive tho)

I can't wait to get back to that hotel! Roll on July 18th!!!!!
Arvi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

big five

Post by Arvi »

8) :D :) :D

I'll being staying at the Turtle Beach Hotel for the 5th time. We are flying next week and will be staying for 2 weeks. Need I say more? I agree. You did not do your homework.
I've stayed a 5 star hotels - for instance Half Moon on Jamaica. And was at the Arnos Vale Hotel (should ave been a 4 star....)last year after a stay at Turtle. I wish I hadn't done that......I'm cured.

Ciao

Arvi
Chris Cross
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Us 2 too

Post by Chris Cross »

:arrow:

and so we do... departing on May 17th to ´bago ;-)

Speaking for me, I can say that the big Hotels in Jamaica offered from the Travel-Agencies aren´t that nice and too big for my taste of carribbean feeling.

Actually sitting on our balcony trying to get burned (better than in ´bago) I just think about Houses like MockingBirdHill or Strawberry Hill or simple Houses like Shafston which are more comfortable and individual than the big Hotels in Jamaica. Even you will never see anything of the real Jamaica if you stay in that big Hotels and do the "normal" Tours! (Waterfalls, the obligate Marley visit and Dunns)

We like the Rex most of all Hotels in ´bago cause it´s the most uncomplicated stay we ever had. What we had to see last time we ´ve been on ´bago was that people were moving from the Grand or Blue Haven, in fact that they had probs with the food, rooms or staff... Me a don´t know why but this is a fact. That is why we decided to go back to ´bago and to the Rex! (the only bad thing is, that the prices went up about 200 € compared with last year.

OK, some things are done the carribbean way, but that is a thing I need because it slowes me a likkle down :-) RoomService, serving at the Bar etc. were no problem. Even a look at other rooms and a change would have been possible if we would have wanted to... If you are open to others like staff and guests they will be open to you too... like everywhere in the World.

Much written, notten said: If you are a 5 Star Person, don´t book 3 Stars.

Roastbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeef - we´re coming!

PS: Did we mention to rent a cow from the carpark?
Arvi
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Arvi »

As said, you muss do your homework. We did and were satisfied.

Hi! Hey Chris, we had fun, didn't we?!? Even with 3 stars, we'll go back. Okay, contstructive criticism is necessary, and we told the manager(s) so. Due to the fact, that we are repeaters and know how it should be, they are understanding.
We'll go back! And the food was great, weather great, most of the people too (lol).
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts is for people, who know what they want. They have informed themselves and want that carribean feeling.

See you next year, Chris, Sonya, Nina, Ralf, Dirk, Nicole, Robbi, Manu - all people who respect Turtle Beach Hotel. Who know what they wanted, and got it!

Thanks Lincoln, Curtis, Esther, Natalie and all other workers at the Rex!

Arvi and Volker

Return to “Starfish Tobago”