ADVISE ON THE CRIME SITUATION IN TOBAGO

Your questions on medical and security issues
Serena

ADVISE ON THE CRIME SITUATION IN TOBAGO

Post by Serena »

I have been reading a few alarming incidents about tourists being targeted in Tobago. We are due to visit towards the end of july with husband and three teenage children. Our accomodation is a rented villa. Should l have concerns about bandits breaking and entering. Has anyone have any experience of being a victim on crime there. Any suggestions on prevention. Thanks!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Serena

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Without in any way wishing to trivialise or dismiss your question, I can only say that its an impossible question to answer. Clearly some properties are more vulnerable to burglary than others and without knowledge of where/which property you are staying at, its impossible to say whether the risk might be above or below average.

As regards the overall position, I'm delighted to say that I've heard of only one 'incident' since I left the island in March - and nothing that involved personal injury of any kind. I hate saying that - it's almost tempting providence.

Relax and look forward to your holiday, but go there bearing personal security in mind. Apply commonsense and all the disciplines you would consider appropriate for a holiday anywhere in the world, including here in the UK.

The biggest danger on Tobago is that visitors can be lulled into a sense of false security. Holiday spirit takes over and they often ignore the normal precautions and behaviour that they would take for granted at home.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Serena

Post by Serena »

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your prompt response. I found the villa through your web-site..Villa easy times. l don't know the specific location.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Serena

We attempt to list every accommodation property on the island. In fact, if its not listed, its simply because we don't know about it.

Sadly, as much as I would love to, time/resources prevent me inspecting every accommodation property and I confess that I've never visited Villa Easytimes. However, I do know exactly where it is.

The villa is located on the Old Buccoo Road between Mount Pleasant and Carnbee. In fact its almost opposite the Carnbee playing fields and steel pan practise hall. I imagine you're in for a treat on the nights that the local band are practising.

I've driven passed Easytimes many times. The villa has a very high front wall and what appear to be very sturdy and secure gates. The fact that it is sited directly beside a main road (don't worry - that is by Tobago standards; the equivalent of a side street over here) is arguably preferable to being stuck up a quiet back lane. I've never heard of any burlaries/attempted burglaries or trouble of any kind at Easytimes. Owners Mark and Mandy are the best people to advise you on that.

Have a brilliant time - I'm sure you will.
Steve Wooler
Serena

Post by Serena »

Thank you so much for your help. I am more confident now about the holiday. l guess l had wanted an independant advise.

Anywhere, l have taken my children, they seem to have the diarrhoea bug. Do you know anything about the hygiene at the restaurants and the roadside cafe??Also is it reccomended to use bottle water.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hygeine standards at the 'proper' restaurants are top notch. If you are prepared to eat at a mobile burger bar in the UK, then you should have no problem at any of the small local eateries throughout Tobago. Where I have heard frequent negative reports, it is mentioned in the restaurant listings.

Technically, tap water is safe to drink on Tobago. However, many people share my problem of slightly sensitive stomachs - I get a day or two of minor rumbles and other signs of tum being a little disorientated whenever I travel - even to other areas in the UK. It never lays me up or anything, but obviously others suffer from this sort of effect to varying degrees. I believe its largely a matter of tolerance/acclimatisation to local conditions. I can only tell you that from day one, I never hesitate to use tap water when brushing my teeth, etc. In fact, I purposely try to drink a small amount of tap water simply to build up that tolerance. However for normal drinking, I believe most people tend to prefer bottled water - simply because like here it generally tastes better and, more importantly, you can shove the bottle in the fridge and have it nice and cold.
Steve Wooler
Serena

Post by Serena »

Do you know whether we can book any tours even if we are staying at a private villa?

Do you know if the HassleBack fish (hassar) is available there?
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

I completely agree with Steve's comments about the safety of the tap water. We used bottled water for coffee, etc., simply because the tap water is cholorinated & that doesn't make for the best cup of coffee or tea. Go to Penny Savers & buy the local bottled water by the gallon. It costs about $1US. By the way, none of our party had any digestive upset from eating any of the local food.

Have a great vacation! Joanne Green
Serena

Post by Serena »

Thank you very much, Joanne! Do you know the approximate cost of a meal??
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Contact details for all the reputatble/recommended tour operators and guides are given in the various listings on this site. Just email them to book in advance, or take the telephone number and ring them from the villa once you're there. It makes no difference to them where you're staying.

Sorry, I have no idea what a HassleBack fish is, so can't comment.
Steve Wooler
Mandy

Post by Mandy »

Serena,

We stayed at Seabreeze a villa in Bacolet, and we felt safe and secure and had a wonderful holiday.

I would say that you need to be vigilant and careful as you would in the UK. We felt safe and walked around all over the place, when we visited Buccoo beach the local fisherman told us not to go to far up the beach and they`d keep an eye out. Their have been problems with people coming out the mango swamp and taking things.

enjoy you holiday.
Serena

Post by Serena »

Is it normal to pre-pay for tours. l have contacted "Yes Toursism" and have asked to pay now. Has anyone had dealings with them!

Serena
Mary Black
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Mary Black »

hi serena
we stayed at villa easytimes last year and had a great holiday the villa is very comfortable and we never felt worried about security the housekeeper shirley was living in the downstairs apartment and the gardener visited every couple of days so you wont feel isolated at all
dont worry about the water there's a bottled water cooler/dispenser in the kitchen and shirley has refills when you need them for a very small charge (cant remember the exact amount) much better than carrying it and storing it in the fridge-we all used tap water to clean teeth and make hot drinks and no tummy troubles at all.
we've eaten from local food stalls many times just use your own judgement - we've never tried the chicken foot souse!!! it just doesn't look appetizing to me but the local kids seem to love it uuugghh
i can recommend the fresh fish stalls at mount irvine around 4pm the villa has a good bbq
we are going over next week and will be there till 27/7 so we may bump into each other
give my best wishes to shirley
hope you have a great holiday
mary
Serena

Post by Serena »

Goodness! Thank you so much for that Mary. And a big thanks for Steve for creating this web-site. l feel so very much re-assured. Am so much looking foward to going now. I do hope we meet. We are arriving on July 27th!
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Serina

Pre-payment for tours isn't always required (depends who you book with and the nature of the tour), but as it's Yes Tourism I would have no worries - you are with one of the best.

Have fun
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Serena

Post by Serena »

Thanks for that Steve! l have paid for all the tours.
Mary Black
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Mary Black »

hello serena
sadly we will be leaving the day you arrive :cry:
i'm sure you'll have a great time
enjoy
mary
Serena

Post by Serena »

Thank you Mary! When you arrive there, is there a restaurant or somewhere l can take the family for a meal. I think they will be quite hungry.
Mary Black
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Mary Black »

hi serena
if you have a hire car on arrival you'll be spoilt for choice and theres a few within a few minutes drive from the house-you could also arrange to have a meal ready + waiting at the house along with a few starter provisions depends on your arrival time - our kids(+me) always just want to get into the pool
i dont want to confuse you with directions but once there shirley can point you in the right direction
you will need a car to get around but the driving is easy and maps from the airport will get you to any place you fancy
on the way from the airport you'll pass pennysavers in canaan a large supermarket so you could stock up ther on your way to the house
loads of choice its just what you would prefer and the arrival time of course
let me know if theres anything else i can help with
mary
Serena

Post by Serena »

We wouldn't be hiring a car. l have booked lots of Tours with Yes Tourism.
Is there a reliable taxi that would probably drop us off. How much does Shirley charge per head?

Do u need yellow fevel vaccine. We haven't had it done

Return to “Health & Security”