Blue Mango vs. Castara Retreats

5 cottage/apartments at Castara (listing)
Natalie S.

Blue Mango vs. Castara Retreats

Post by Natalie S. »

Hi, I'm planning a romantic vacation for my boyfriend, and I want to go somewhere other than Crown Point area. I had decided on Castara Retreats, and then I saw the Blue Mango Cottages website. The Sweet Point cottage, either level is actually cheaper per night than the Osprey or Pelican at Castara Retreats. But they don't have any really good pictures of the cottage. Can someone give me a comparison? I like the idea of having a separate bedroom, as opposed to a studio and that is what would sell Blue Mango for me over Osprey, which is what I was going to go with.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Natalie

Welcome aboard! :lol:

The Blue Mango cottages are very close to the sea, whereas Castara Retreats is a little further away, on a hillside overlooking the bay. You get spectacular views from Castara Retreats at the cost of having to walk a few minutes more to the beach.

Both offer a "back to basics" type experience. The difference is - and I'm struggling to put this politely - that the newer Catara Retreats properties have been built to the highest standards with the clear aim of providing a certain ambience and level of accommodation, whereas Blue Mango achieves 'rustic' by being in serious need of refurbishment.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
John Brownlow

Post by John Brownlow »

I very much support what Steve says but would be a bit less polite about Blue Mango. We didn't stay in either but visited friends who were. While Castara Retreats is well equipped and very attractive Blue Mango looks very tired and in my view does not represent good value for money. We stayed at Castara Beach House Coconut Heights apartment which you might consider as an alternative. It is right on the beach, spacious and ideal as a romantic hideaway.
Natalie S.

thanks

Post by Natalie S. »

Thank you very much for your quick replies and for your candor. That was exactly the type of comparison I was looking for. I'm willing to pay slightly more for Castara Retreats if I get better value for my money.

I will also look into the Coconut Heights apartment as you suggested John.
Kat Blomfeld
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Kat Blomfeld »

Hello Natalie

The Blue Mango cottages are for sale (at rip-off prices, like their rates). They can't compete against so much newer, higher quality accommodation, some with better locations, and against owners who offer good service at realistic prices. They can't even con the Americans any more so they're selling up. We went round Blue Mango in January. The buildings are wooden shacks in a dire state of repair. They need knocking down.
Sioned And Tim Sims

Post by Sioned And Tim Sims »

Hi Natalie,

You will have a fantastic time in Castara wherever you stay. If I could go back tomorrow I would be willing to stay in a cardboard box, but seeing that you don't have to I would go for anything in Castara Retreats. Sweet Point is in a lovely location but as Steve said it is in need of some tender love and care. Castara Retreats is a little further from the beach but that means unbeatable views. We have stayed there 4 times and each time somewhere different. Pelican and Osprey are very similar, Osprey has a much bigger covered deck and a paved area to sunbathe on, and of the two I would say it's a little more private, Pelican is in a more social location and in my opinion better access to the rest of the garden. I would find it difficult to choose my favorite, All the accommodation is beautifully maintained, very clean and equipped to a high standard. Wherever you stay in Castara Retreats you will fall in love with the views and the gardens, I would recommend any of it wholeheartedly
Have a fantastic time
Regards
Sioned

Only 36 days to go and it's all I can think about
Rebecca Thorpe

We loved it

Post by Rebecca Thorpe »

Most people on this website dont go to tobago in search of 5 star accomodation.They go to escape and relax.We stayed at the blue mango sea steps cottage and loved it.Yes it was rustic, which made a nice change from the marriot and movenpick chains that we usually stay at.Its location is superb and you have use of your own private bay.Rebecca and her family were helpful and friendly hosts and the meals from the attached clay kitchen were lovely.
And at $150 per night, hardly breaks the bank but is a lovely, romantic alternative to sharing a small pool with 200 other guests for $280 p/n at Coco Reef. I say try it!It will do your soul good to get back to basics and the location alone is worth a million dollars!

Return to “Blue Mango Cottages”