A suitable hotel for 2 fifty something couples?

8 room hotel in south Bon Accord (listing)
Jean Haines

A suitable hotel for 2 fifty something couples?

Post by Jean Haines »

We are two couples in our late fifties who have booked a flight to Tobago in January 07 and we are now looking for a suitable hotel. We are interested in, but not expert at, birdwatching and we want a small hotel with a pool and decent food which is not too far from a good beach. We would then use this as a base so that we can get out and about and explore.
We are interested in booking The Hummingbird Hotel at Crown Point. We understand it has been recently sold to new owners who we have been in contact with. Unfortunately as they are unable to take a deposit from us via our credit card they are asking for half the cost of the holiday, upfront, transferred into their bank account.
Has anyone any knowledge of the Crown Point area and The Hummingbird in particular? Is it a suitable place for us?
And has anyone an opinion on paying such a large proportion of the holiday so far in advance and without the benefit of credit card protection?
Also has anyone any other suggestions as to where to stay, preferable near to bird watching areas?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Jean

Welcome aboard! :)

The Hummingbird Hotel changed hands fifteen months ago. I must confess I am very surprised that the new owners, Paul and Linda, are not credit card merchants. I've heard absolutely no reports of the hotel since it changed hands, so can't really comment.

The hotel has a very small pool and, I believe, a very small restaurant - or at least it used to have a restaurant. However, it is some distance away from the main areas of Crown Point so I suspect it only caters for residents and therefore imagine that the offering is limited. It seems a pleasant-enough building but I believe it was in serious need of some updating. I'm not sure whether Paul and Linda have done this.

A car is pretty essential if you stay at the Hummingbird Hotel. The birds get everywhere in Tobago, but that is not an area noted for them.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jean Haines

Post by Jean Haines »

Thanks Steve
We have been to Tobago before, some years ago, and stayed at the Grafton Beach which we didn't like very much. Too big. However, what we did like about it was its close proximity to the Grafton Bird Reserve which we visited nearly every morning. So our ideal hotel would be one that's near the bird reserve or, failing that, one in an area where the birdlife is rich. I've had a look at The Inn on the Bay and also The Toucan Inn. Both look quite promising but it really is difficult to know whether they are anywhere near the birding areas. Any suggestions? We want a small hotel, preferably with decent grounds and a pool, where we can get a meal in the evening.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jean Haines
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jean

A lot will depend upon whether you're going to hire a car. Quite honestly, without one your will have difficulty getting the best out of Tobago. You will recall from your stay at the Grafton how relatively little there is within walking distance of any hotel. With a car, the island is your oyster and you can consider everywhere on the island.

Given your interest in birds, with your own transport I would suggest the Cuffie River Nature Resort and the Blue Waters Inn - ideally splitting a two-week holiday into a week at each. The BWI hasn't got a pool, but its in a protected bay with excellent safe swimming.

Without a pool, you are more limited and would possibly be best staying at in the Crown Point area. The Toucan Inn is in the same road as the Hummingbird Hotel, but a little closer to the centre (within comfortable walking distance). Not an ideal area for birds though. The Inn On The Bay has nice grounds and has a lot more birdlife, so could be a good choice. See our reviews for detailed descriptions of these hotels.

One other thought, given that you know and like the Grafton Bird Sanctuary. How about the Seahorse Inn? Small guesthouse above the restaurant. No pool, but directly opposite the Grafton beach. I'm sure you will have seen the Seahorse next door to the Grafton (beach side).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Hummingbird Hotel”