Sand flies

Your questions on medical and security issues
Inge

Sand flies

Post by Inge »

I have been reading through some strings on insects, and also read the article of Steve with the great instructions developed through painful experience of Jill.
I am of the same victim kind when it comes to insect attraction, I have faced rare but quite horrible allergic reaction in the mediterranean (though nothing in West-Africa; maybe that was a good season)
--> so, I am now concerned regarding a potentially terrible stay (I am also getting myself terrible when having tons of bites... so a desaster for humans around me, which is then also depressing, a downwards spiral ;-)
A bit kidding, - but I suppose I just best follow the advice of Steve/Jill, get the best repellent/cure etc. and be brave.

Now what I am really curious about:
- Is it true that sand flies do not occur in the same abundancy on all beaches?
If so: Why isn't there a kind of sand fly map of the island?
- I have read in some of these strings on insects in the forum that people are recommended not to sit ont he beach at all because of the sand flies!
I am not the biggest beach hangout but what do people do who love that?
- Are the sand flies the reason that the pictures of beaches are always free of people?? ;-)
- One often-traveller I asked about the sand flies said: "well, I do not know Castrara that much, but the sand flies should only occur on the sand" --> Great! Is it in the tropics so that people just do NOT go to the beach? Or only not for sunsets?

Would be really great to know,
best greets,
Inge
L.A. Mcdonald
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by L.A. Mcdonald »

Hello Inge,

I have vacationed in Castara two times in the last three years and all but a few hours have been spent on the glorious beaches in the village. I did receive a few sand fly bites and didn't have any reaction besides a small red spot for a few days. The other women I traveled with didn't seem to be bothered by the flies. I typically am bothered by bugs,so wasn't suprised that I was targeted. It wouldn't keep me away from that gorgeous heavenly bay. Have the time of your life and pack some benedryl just in case.

Lori :D

P.S. I used childrens Skintastic spray and it worked well and didn't smell bad.

Return to “Health & Security”