Best time to visit??

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Lorraine F

Best time to visit??

Post by Lorraine F »

Hello

Was unsure whether to post this in the weather section or not but hopefully someone can help me out?!

Basically I am planning a trip in Tobago (2007) and I am really unsure as to the best time to visit. For cost of flights I would like to visit during the low season and Casatra is where I would love to stay. However I have read that it can sometimes be a shame at Castara in the rainy season as the ocean can be a murky brown after rain?

I know this is just me probably being picky but I would be a little disappointed I think if I couldn't experience swimming in crystal clear waters! Also would this inhibit snorkeling in the area?

Is this the case throughout the rainy season or just for some period after rain?

Could anyone advise of a best month to visit during the low season based on past weather experiences - does the petit carem occur every September??

Just wanting to see Tobago at its best!
Thanks

Lorraine :?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Lorraine

True ... the sea can be cloudy with run-off after rainy periods.

Equally ... in the dry season between January and May the sea swells increase in size and churn the sands close to the shores.

This is periodic and you can have crystal clear seas in both the dry season and the wet season ... it is really down to luck more than judgement.

Your swimming will never be affected but the snorkelling can be affected.

If you are unlucky and the seas are a little cloudy during your visit, the trick is to locate snorkelling areas off beaches that are more rocky and there is less churning.

Arnos Vale comes to mind as one of the best snorkelling beaches during rainy periods or high seas ... the reef off Englishmans Bay (300 metre swim) is also OK and the limited reefs around Pigeon Point are always clear too. Speyside, just off Goat Island, is good too but there are often strong currents during heavy seas and you need to access this area by boat.

I hope this helps

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Lorraine F

Post by Lorraine F »

Hi Paul

Thanks that does help - I guess you're right and it is just down to luck really! :)

Lorraine
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Anytime!!!!! :wink:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

you will have brown seas wherever a river or drain goes into the sea and since tobago is almost only a big hill that would be in every bay... :wink:
but it takes only one day to be clear again.
about the rain and the waves, it is really a matter of luck (where in the world are you able to rely on the weather again?), but the weather is chenging fast, so you have a good chance to have good conditons, too...
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Lorraine F

Post by Lorraine F »

"Anytime" - Ilike it!! :lol:

Also thanks for the advice Brian. I originally read it in a travel guide which made out that the ocean would be murky throughout the rainy season so its good to know that that is not the case - well again, dependant on the weather though!!

Brian are you Alibaba of Alibabas Sea Breeze? I'm really liking the look of your accomodation in Castara - what is your availability like? are people booking it up fast well into 2007 or do I still have some time?!

Lorraine
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Lorraine

Yes, Steph and Brian own and run Alibaba's SeaBreeze.

May I please ask you to contact them by email and Steph knows she can't answer you here. Business owners are only allowed to use the forum to help visitors with general questions and comment and are strictly forbidden from discussing or mentioning their own businesses. They are allowed to answer general questions about their own business, or respond to criticism, but questions about rates and availability cross the non-commercial line. You can contact Steph via [email protected] or through our Accommodation listings.

Sorry, for this, but I'm sure you will realise the reasons for this policy.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lorraine F

Post by Lorraine F »

Ooops sorry Steve, that makes absolute sense - just didn't think!!

Lorraine :oops:

Return to “Weather”