valuables

Your questions on medical and security issues
Jeff T

valuables

Post by Jeff T »

I have read mixed results as to safety of belongings and just curious as to a few places in particular. I'll be making my first trip with my family, their second trip, in the middle of June, staying at the Banaquit, Cholson Chalets and Man-O-War Cottages, with the last 2 being for 6 nights each. Any word on safety of my things if i am to bring a laptop (watching movies at night and on plane), mp3 player and the such. Should I bother? what precausions should I take? Thanks
Kevin Pallant
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Kevin Pallant »

First precaution would be, not to tell anyone where you are staying and what you have with you! :idea:
Jeff T

Post by Jeff T »

well that i know but if someone is looking at this 5 months in advance to see what tourists are talking about and brining with them, plus they will have internet and relatively expensive things as it is, im not to worried about that and there isnt much i can do if they are 'casing' their thefts that much. i have a feeling the thefts are people that just randomly do it to tourists, not researching in advance. point noted though
Paul T.

Take precautions and hope for the best.

Post by Paul T. »

Hi big J. First, I do believe this will be your old man's third trip to Tobago, but who's counting. I've also read in a few places that while we are in Charlotteville in June that a Fisherman's festival is taking place. Does anyone know what Charlotteville is like during this festival. We've stayed in Charlotteville twice before and can't get enough of it. See ya J. Pops
Jeff T

Post by Jeff T »

3rd trip well i guess i have a memory that i can credit you for. :lol: cant wait for my maiden trip to the south.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Jeff

If you browse the health and security forum, you'll find that this is a recurring question. There is also a related thread 'Laptops' in the general forum.

Simple answer is that much of what you may hear is sensationlised, but crime, including opportunist theft, is not not unknown.

I have taken an ipod, video camera, digital stills camera etc. on most visits and once had my stuff turned over whilst I left it (just a few yards away) whilst I was fishing an apparently deserted stretch of beach.
Interestingly, nothing was stolen, as I'm sure that the petty thief involved was looking for cash or maybe cigarettes.

As a result, I now only take with me what I can keep on my person and try to never leave anything unattended outdoors. I certainly wouldn't leave something like a laptop lying around. But that goes anywhere in the world I guess.

Come to think of it - a holiday is a good enough reason to leave a laptop at home, unless it is essential for business or some other reason. There are plenty of things to do in the evenings, rather than watch DVDs 8)

You might care to have a look at the security advice, which is based on practical experiences of Tobago, here -
http://www.mytobago.info/security.php

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

Hi Jeff,

We stayed in Man O'War Bay Cottages last year for our wedding and had many valuable items with us.

We did not have a problem and indeed often left windows open. However, on a few occasions locals warned us to close the windows and make sure the cottage was locked up tight as there were strangers around. I have seen reports on here before and indeed heard in Charlotteville of someone enetering a cottage - however the locals tell me it was a stranger (...from Trinidad allegedly)

I think you should take sensible precautions especially at MOWB as it is easy for someone to slip in at night when you will be at Lyda's bar (give her our love!) despite the night watchman.

It's always useful to make friends with the locals as they will keep an eye on your cottage and tell you who is dodgy.

Regards

Louise
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Just an observation on general security,this year there seems to be a higher police presence both on foot and in various cars.The army security forces are also noticable.THA have recently formed The Volunteer Reserve Police Service(RPS)who despite it's name are a full time force.While not undergoing the same lenghty training that the regular police undergo,there training is completed on the job.The first course passed out about 6 weeks ago.
David

Return to “Health & Security”