Bird Watching with Newton George

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Shelly D

Bird Watching with Newton George

Post by Shelly D »

We spent the most amazing half day in late January, on a bird watching tour with Newton George. Even if you're not a birder (this was our first experience), being with Newton is an experience in itself that is not to be missed. This man is so knowledgeable, and so clearly loves what he does, that you quickly become as enthusiastic and full of wonder at each thing he shows you. We had an easy walk through the rainforest, where we encountered probably a couple dozen species over less than a quarter mile of ground. We even chanced upon a hummingbird nesting in an air plant on a telephone wire! Newton opened to us the world of these rare and precious creatures. It was a privilege to spend that time with him.
Mike Black

Birding with Newton

Post by Mike Black »

I'll second these comments. We had a fantastic days birding with Newton a couple of weeks ago. He has one of the keenest eyes of any guide I've ever been with.

The day was a delight and the best value for money of all the activities we took part in while in Tobago.

Newton also arranged for us to be met in Trinidad by a friend of his, Bruce, who took us to Asa Wright's and Caroni swamp, another great day out. If you decide to visit Caroni, make sure you use a young guy called Sean as your guide, he's also really good at what he does.
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Hi Mike,
We also have just been on a couple of trips with Newton. He's a brilliant guide to go with. We were also thinking of going to the Asa Wright centre and Caroni swamp for the day next year. Did you have to arrange this with Newton before you went to Tobago, or could it be done at fairly short notice?
Also did you have to book the flight to Trinidad yourself? Is February the right time of year to see the Scarlet ibis's at Caroni or had they mostly left for the breeding season?
Sorry for the multitude of questions. We've only just returned from Tobago and we are already planning for next year. We seem to be addicted!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gill

Mike - please excuse me for butting in on a direct question to you - but I wanted to add my two-cents worth just to clarify one point in your post.

Newton George does do trips to Asa Wright and Caroni and normally accompanies the guests and acts as a guide in ADDITION to the local (very good) guides that you are obliged to use at both the Asa Wright and the Caroni swamp. By coincidence, we did this very trip with him yesterday and having seen your post, I expressed surprise that Newton had not accompanied you. He explained that now and again he will arrange the Trinidad trip for existing clients when he is too busy to go himself, as in your case, Mike.

Book well in advance Gill. As the island's top birding guide, Newton is in great demand and it is very rare that you will manage to arrange something with him at short notice.

As I say, Jill and I went with Newton and his lovely wife, Diane, yesterday. We had a fabulous day out and I totally endorse everything Mike has said. What was lovely to see was the way that Newton clearly is held in the same respect in Trinidad as he is on Tobago. His relationship with the local guides is obviously one of mutual respect and benefitted everyone on the tours, not just Jill and myself. We can't recommend the trips strongly enough. The sight of those Scarlet Ibis coming in just before dusk is stunning.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Steve HOW DARE YOU butt in on this thread :lol: :lol:

Just who do you think you are? :D

Hi Gill, as Steve says you would need to book up in advance.

The flight was very easy to arrange from the airport.

I'm sure there are others on this Forum better placed and qualified than I to give you info regarding the best times to see Scarlet Ibis.

He's right about how stunning the view is.
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Many thanks to BOTH of you for your replies!

I'll e-mail Newton a couple of months before we go back to Tobago , and hopefully arrange a trip to Trinidad with him.

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”