Docs/Medicine on Island

Your questions on medical and security issues
Jolene A

Docs/Medicine on Island

Post by Jolene A »

Hey all, just wondering if anyone can tell me what the medical/health service on Tobago is like, and also what the local hospital is like?...although im hoping not to spend time in there! lol Just like to be prepared for the worst!

Many thanks

Jo
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Jolene, read this section of the myTobago site for information about Tobago's medical facilities http://www.mytobago.info/medical.php
Clyde
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

I´ve been in T&T since 1989, and I have been to the general Hospital both in Scarborough and in Port of Spain, so I can confirm that they do a great job with their limited resources.

As a visitor you don´t have to pay when using the General Hospital in Scarborough or Port of Spain, even medicin are free as long the hospital have it.

But, if you need more advance care they maybe send you to a private clinic i Trinidad, and than it´s "pay-first" system. So, a good insurance or a big credit card is needed in case you sometimes need medical care above the General Hospitals resources.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Also you will find a lot of prescription medicines are available over the counter(eg.antibiotics)
David
Jolene A

Post by Jolene A »

Thanks for all the info, that reassures me a bit. Both me and my boyfriend have very sensitive skin, so its good to know if anything happened from an insect bite or anything like that, the facilites are available.

Thanks for the link Clyde, theres so much excellent information on here, i start reading one thing and it always leads off onto another!

Many thanks everyone

Jo
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jolene

Don't forget to read our article on insects and bites - see the menu Odds & Sods/Health & Safety/Insects & Nasties. Different strokes for different folks, but the advice given in there works for the majority of people.

Also its useful to remember that the price of things is very different in Tobago. Private medicine is cheap compared to the UK. There's never a trip when we haven't had to seek medical advice/treatment for something and I've never yet paid more than £20 - and seen the doctor within a hour or two. Furthermore, we have had better care than at home. Dr Mohammed in Carnbee alerted Jill to a thyroid condition three years ago. This was dismissed by both our GP and a UK consultant. She had major surgery for it last October. The same applies to dentistry. Dr Steel at Orcacare in Scarborough is as good as any dentists over here - but is charges are realistic. To be honest, if I was in need of normal or cosmetic treatment I would wait and have it done over there - except that you don't want such treatment spoiling a holiday of course.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jolene A

Post by Jolene A »

Thanks Steve, thats deffinetly a reassurance in my mind. I know exactly what you mean about docs and dentists over here, they just don't seem to have the time or paitence for anyone anymore, still, if anyone did have any treatment over there, at least its a nicer view to look out on instead of our grey rainey days! :wink: And thank you for that link, i have looked at it already, but theres so much information on here its absolutely fantastic!

Many thanks

Jo

Return to “Health & Security”