Security problems in Tobago?

Your questions on medical and security issues
Geissi

Security problems in Tobago?

Post by Geissi »

Hi together

I want to join next july in Tobago (visiting an english course). The travelling agency contacted me today and advised me to cancel my course because of security reasons. How do you see this? Has been somebody from you the last weeks/months in Tobago and can tell his point of view.

Thanks for your advises!

Translation of the official Message by government of Germany (the Swiss say more or less the same):

Also in Tobago the readiness for the use of force increased. In particular armed robberies on tourists accumulate themselves up. Likewise there was it rape before everything in Buccoo, the area of Black skirt and Lambeau comes again and again to pick-pocketing and would attack. It gave break-downs and assaults also in guesthouses and unmarried mansions. Of it were also repeat German tourists concerned. Will turn out for however traveler women to special caution. Lonely beaches should be attacked because of the danger of both in Trinidad and be avoided in Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Geissi

Welcome aboard! :lol:

This is a difficult question because how does one measure or judge personal security? Yes, many areas of Trinidad are BAD news. Tobago is a different story. I have just returned from six weeks on the island. I took all the normal precautions that I would at home and never felt threatened or in danger. However, there is no denying that crime has increased dramatically on Tobago in recent years. However, it is still a safer island than many popular Caribbean destinations.

My advice would be to follow all the posts in this 'Health & Security' forum. Here you will read the views and impressions of people actually visiting the island. Rest assured, very little that happens on the island is not reported here. But, when reading the reports make sure you notice the date - everything here covers up to five years of history.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Geissi

Post by Geissi »

Thanks for the quick reply! At least, i would "prefere" to get in troubles in Tobago than in any u.s. city.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Or London! I am glad that you have managed to put the reports into perspective.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Geissi,I am priviliged to have been a guest in Tobago for four months each year for a number of years.I have NEVER felt threatened anywhere on the Island.The 'Bogonians are a peaceful people who welcome you---crime if any is from the "sister isle"!
Normal precautions that you would carry out vacationing at home will be OK.
Go and enjoy,David :D

Return to “Health & Security”