Guest Report

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Pat Drinkwater

Guest Report

Post by Pat Drinkwater »

My husband and I have recently returned from our second stay at the Turtle Beach and it was just as good as the first. We had a first floor room this time which I would recommed as the view of the beach/sea is fantastic especially in the late afternoon. The new pool is great and is definatley a great selling point for the hotel (our first visit was with the old pool). The rooms are still in need of some modernisation and redecoration although our room was fine. Our friends ground floor room was on the other hand pretty appauling with the bathroom in a terrible state of decline and the inside of the bath looked like it had been painted with emulsion! The manager is doing his best to get the rooms redecorated by the end of the year but some of the rooms definately need a bit more than a fresh coat of paint.
The rest of the hotel has not really changed at all (apart from the new pool) and has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. We have not experienced any rudeness or unfriendly behaviour by any of the staff on either of our visits. Most of the local sellers and tour operators on the beach are still the same too. You can get a good massage from either Mary of Jackie and your nails painted by Rachel, or buy leather goods and t-shirts from some of the stalls. The main one to avoid is the Aloe Vera man who will try to rub some on your skin from a plant stalk and then charge you for it. Most of the others are harmless and will go away with a polite "No Thank You".
The food was excellent with a good choice each day and the head chef was very friendly. I celebrated my birthday while I was there and he made me a surprise birthday cake complete with candles! There is a weekly rum puch party where you have the chance to meet the staff and Leslie the manager as well as the other guests. We bumped into a couple we had met 4 years earlier at this event - how unlikely is that?
The manager also arranged a "returners" party for all those guests that had been there before and it was a very enjoyable evening attended buy at least 40 guests so that gives you an idea of how popular it is to go back to.
We will definately return to the Turtle Beach again some time in the future and would recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxing, peaceful getaway in an idyllic setting without breaking the bank. If it's 5* accommodation and lively nightlife you want the Turtle Beach is not for you.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”