Safety around Turtle Beach

Your questions on medical and security issues
Nisha Williams

Safety around Turtle Beach

Post by Nisha Williams »

I often go for a run in the morning and last thing at night, unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't :( Can anyone tell me whether they think it would be safe for me to do this around the Turtle Beach area (alone). I wouldn't go running after dark.

Many thanks,

Nisha
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Nisha, the Turtle Beach area is not a built-up area with a lot of houses or pedestrians around, so I would suggest that if you plan to road run and especially if you have a car, consider driving to the Grafton/Mount Irvine area which is just a few minutes drive away and running there. There's more vehicular and pedestrian traffic in that area, plus its also quite picturesque as you run past the golf course etc. Just be warned that once the sun rises it can get very hot very quickly so be sure to hydrate. If you plan to run on the beach, if the tide is in, you will find it difficult to run on the soft sandy part. Better to try to time the run when the tide is out so you will have the firmer area closer to the water to run on.
Clyde
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

Thanks Clyde, have now reserved a car at Sheppy's so will check our Grafton Bay area. Am getting really excited now, only 6 and a bit weeks to go :lol:
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Nisha, don't forget that locals aren't custom with peoples who are exercising on the roads, never mind of one are running, doing long walks or using a bicycle. The roads are somtimes narrow also in the area of Grafton.

I use to take long walks and often have to step off the road, because the driver doesn't expect to meet someone on the road. "A visitor who's walking, here, in the heat?"

If you like running on a beach, try Black Rock Beach, very wide and very long, you have plenty of space there
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Nisha, on the other side of the Island there are a few athletic clubs and they always road run with a safety car.
Dont't forget night starts when the sun says bye bye .....and then it is dark!
David
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Nisha, a final comment on the best time to run on the road - for mornings I would suggest between 5:45AM and 7:00AM as the sun would be up but it would still be fairly cool. For afternoons, for the opposite reason, you should allow the heat of the day to subside, but before it gets dark. In the Turtle Beach/Grafton/Mt Irvine/Black Rock areas there is no pavement for you to run on, so you would be running on the road, and you would need to make sure that you run when its light enough for drivers to see you, but not TOO sunny as it would be too hot to run comfortably. This means between 5:00PM and 6:15PM. Remember that it can get as hot as 34 degrees during a clear sunny day.
Clyde
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

Thanks again everyone for all your advice :D
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Nisha,

You're a Guru before you even arrive! It will probably be a huge letdown after all this talk. :P

Hugh :lol:
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

I hope not Hugh. Am hoping that I like it better than Trinidad (I am a quarter Trinidadian). I am just excited as really looking forward to 2 weeks away from work and alone with my boyfriend :wink:
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Nisha,

I'm certain that you will LOVE it. You have really done your homework so you can relax once you get settled in. That's what its about for most of us. Looking forward to your reports after you get mellowed out. Only problem: two weeks is just a tease.

Maybe we'll see you out there . . . you can find me at Ole Grange beach most early mornings.

Hugh
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

I like a brisk 7-10k a few times a week but trust me, when I hit 'Bago (as my 2 year old calls it!) I'll be running in and out the sea and nowhere else ;-)
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

I have a friend who was supposed to be training for a marathon he wanted to run soon after tobago.... he ran once .... and never again! :wink:

let us know how you did :lol:

steph

Return to “Health & Security”