Guest Report

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Gary A

Guest Report

Post by Gary A »

Just back from our 2nd visit to RTB, which was even better than the first time. We were a little concerned about the recent kitchen problems, but this has been sorted and the food was great and even more varied than last year. The head chef was great and we had an anniversary and daughters birthday while we were out there, and had a word with him who prepared us a special meal, and also made us a birthday cake!

The only fault I could find was that about 20 poeple had ear infections from the pool, which was closed for a day while treated, but was then sorted. The hotel did bring in a doctor and paid for the treatment but the doctor was not the best as he examined peoples ear and did not clean the equipment each time, so I think if you did not have the infection you would have after he examined you. My wife did read on another forum about ear infections in hot countries, so we did take our own ear drops out and had no problems.

I have read on other posts about staff being unfriendly but thats certainly not the case we have found...in fact quite the opposite. If you take the time to talk to the staff they are so friendly, and I must thank Leslie (Hotel Manager), Scotty (assistant manager) Devon (restuarant manager), Esther (front desk manager), Jason/Brett (bar), Niamoi (waitress).

The location is great right on the beach, and we did see a leather back on the beach during the day, as well as a couple at night that laid eggs. The vendors that used to hang about under the tree on the beach have now been moved on which was good, although I must say that if you say a firm no, they did not hassle us, and we ended up talking to them about life on the island.

We visited |Argyle falls again, and this time did spot a Caymen and a bright green snake, and it well worth a visit. This year we went deep sea fishing with http://www.hardplay.net and caught some Barracuda and king fish. One of the guys had a barracuda on the line when a 500lb shark surfished and ate half of it. On the way back a pod of doplhins followed us in which was great. The 2 guys who ran the trip were great and offered us the fish, or they gave the fish to a local old peoples home which I thought was good.

I can recommend Arnos Vale for snorkelling, and we've still not found anywhere better yet. Just round the corner from the hotel we found a place called Aventure Park, where for a small donation you can see humming birds fed, which was amazing. We have in the past had the afternoon tea at Arnos Vale, but there were more varities at the adventure Park and more birds, so I can recommend that.

Some people there were moaning about the hotel, but what I think people forget is that this is a 3* hotel and to me offers great value for money. If you want a 5* hotel goto the Coco Reef and pay twice as much.....We had room 104 on the ground floor near the pool which was adequate. 2 double beds, air con, fridge, tv and right outside the room was a mango tree which was great for shade, and look out for yellow mangos, they are delicious fresh from the tree.

Were definately go back again in a few years, fancy a change next year. Steve W, do you know you an excellent site like your for Antigua? :D

Were thinking of the Rex Halcyon Cove as the RTB manager gave me his email address and said he would be able to arrange us a deal and treat us as a repeater there as we have been to another rex hotel, so be intgerested to hear from anybody who has stayed at Halcyon Cove Antigua :P

cheers
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gary

Thanks for such a detailed report. How would you rate your Satisfaction with the Turtle Beach on a scale of 1 to 5 (high being best). If you let me know, I'll add it to your post and to the overall scores for the hotel (only shows in the Accommodation listings).

To be honest, I haven't looked at any sites for Antigua for years so can't comment. We used to LOVE the Hawksbill Beach Hotel there, whilst it was under Kuoni ownership and management. To be honest, I never found the island very friendly, so its one of those places we never left the resort and I've never stayed anywhere else on the island.

Mind you, the way I feel about Tobago - or at least those running the place at the moment - I think it might be about time to start looking at the other islands again.
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Hi Steve, I would give the RTB 4 out of 5.

I cant believe "Mr Tobago" is looking at holidaying else where, how come your fed up Steve?

Gary
Chris Cross
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Chris Cross »

Hi,

we have 1 Quest: Does the RTB Hotel have a new Chef in the Kitchen?

The "old" Chef told us last year he might be changing the Hotel...

Thanks in advance

Chris

If you´re looking for Antigua:

http://www.antigua-barbuda.org
http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/travel ... um.php?f=2
http://www.caribbeantravelforums.com/An ... arbuda.htm
http://www.travelblog.org/Central-Ameri ... a/Antigua/
Tobago NorthWest Coast Road Mudder
Gary A

Post by Gary A »

Hi Chris,

Its still the same Chef as last year whose name has slipped my mind but he is originally from Sri Lanka, and your right he did tell me the same last year but he is still there.

I think the food was even better this year than last as there was more choice.

Thanks for the Antigua info, I'll start lookig into that.

Cheers,
Gary

Return to “Starfish Tobago”